Fiber? Protein? Carbs?

Options
Does anyone add anything like Benefiber to thier protein shakes? I've been paying a lot of attention to my little daily amounts and its like if I actually meet one goal I'm off on another. And fiber has pretty much been the lowest with sugar being the highest! Also I've heard that its better to eat all of your carbs in the morning or before a workout? I'm not sure if these hve been asked before but any positive, insightful responses are appreciated.... I'm learning new things everyday :) Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• cufirst84
    cufirst84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add Benefiber 2x a day one to my smoothie in the morning and to my juice in the afternoon, its tastless so you can even add it to your morning coffee too !!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on protein & fiber and that's ok with me. Sugar, same. But I don't eat processed sugar like candy and chocolate, it's from fruit most of the times.

As for when to eat your carbs, it's up to you & everyone has something different to say about it. Do what works for you, I like a simple carb like an apple 30-40 minutes before an hour long cardio or weight class and I have some protein after wards for recovery.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been throwing in extra fiber wherever I can. The "Eat this not that" Guru says people should get at least 25 grams of it especially during weight loss. I find with reduced calories, constipation sets in pretty easy no matter how much water I drink. ease into the benefiber though, start low and increase gradually. It's is a great appetite suppressant if you do it an hour before a meal too.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Ideally I think it would be wonderful to stay within ALL the guidelines, but it's taken me 7 (SEVEN!) months to *figure* that one out....

Benefiber is one alternative, but keep reading your labels, and picking the food items w/ the LOWEST carbs, calories, fat, sugar,
    and the HIGHEST in fiber and protein....

I've been amazed at how a simple brand change makes a HUGE difference.

Keep on going....and Best Wishes on your journey!
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love me some oatmeal with fruit, and fiber one bars but I've found I don't like the 90cal bars as much as I like th regular ones lol. I've been trying to add more veggies but theres not many I like....I'm still working on trying everyone at least once or twice! Thanks for the tips y'all!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get it down and plugging in my day's food in the morning helps a lot because then I can see what I should remove or add.
  • nwilcock
    Options
    I would suggest you intake the majority of your carbs in the morning when your body needs them to replenish its glycogen and get you that energy for the day. Immediately after your workout is a great time for a banana too! The sugars and carbs act just like a Gatorade without any additives! Try to eat as few carbs as possible after 5-6 pm depending on when you go to bed. As for fiber, if you eat a lot of leafy greens (i.e. broccoli, spinach, romaine, asparagus) or nuts and legumes you should get your daily amount just from regular food. An extra scoop of benefiber never hurt anyone though.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Does anyone add anything like Benefiber to thier protein shakes? I've been paying a lot of attention to my little daily amounts and its like if I actually meet one goal I'm off on another. And fiber has pretty much been the lowest with sugar being the highest! Also I've heard that its better to eat all of your carbs in the morning or before a workout? I'm not sure if these hve been asked before but any positive, insightful responses are appreciated.... I'm learning new things everyday :) Thanks in advance!!

I add benefiber to my morning shake, it only has 15 calories so not bad.