Went over my calories today! Will this put a halt on my weig

Options
Hi everyone, I have been doing so well all week trying to stay slightly under my calorie intake, but today I felt really lousy. I dont know if it was too high end of a workout today or if I just didnt get enough calories since I have been under 1200 all week

Today I went over by 201 calories. Will this put a damper on my weightloss? or do some of you go over from time to time?

I would love to know your honest thoughts I am a big girl (started at 200lbs) and I have been working my but off and lost 7 pounds since the beginning of the week if this means anything.

Thanks you guys are awesome!

Replies

• Maria_t02
    Options
    I haven't went over since I started, but at some point I know I will.. don't let it discourage you and wake up tomorrow determined to do better! good job on the 7lb loss so far that's a lot off for a week!
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You will be just fine,we all have an overage every now and then.You are doing great 7 lbs in a week,that is awesome.Keep up the Good work
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I went over last night by 190+ calories lol. I just went for a jog last night to burn them off =)
  • camille97
    Options
    Absolutely not. It's 200 calories! Either exercise a little more or eat a little less tomorrow, and don't sweat it. Your body does not record 200 calories in the long run. Breathe!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    one day is not going to cause to much damage. I go over from time to time and i am still losing pretty steady.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You will be just fine. Resume your plan tomorrow and don't worry about it.
  • thebeadinggoddess
    Options
    Thanks! for the first time I really pushed myself to run I think I got ahead of myself and it made me sick and yes I treated myself to some chocolate not much 5 blocks from a candy bar and some sherbet but still. I thought I wouldnt go over 70 calories. I was dissapointed after I found out my total. My goal was to reach 185 by next week.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    One day won't do much damage. I go over 1-2, sometimes 3 days a week. I like to think of it as my way to shock my metabolism to hopefully avoid a plateau :)
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Going over your calories can actually HELP your weight loss! I know if I stay on plan for several days and then eat over calories one day, I almost always show a weight loss the day after going over my calories. Many people actually vary their calories like that on purpose (google "zig zagging calories" or type it into MFPs search box) to keep from plateauing.

Check out this calorie calculator to estimate how many calories you should be eating per day, and after you hit "calculate" it will give you the option to see what your daily calories should be if you want to zig zag.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No. You're still under your maintenance weight. Some will argue that you eat exercise calories back and others disagree and some only eat a portion back. It's up to you. As long as you're eating at least 1200 calories a day. 7 pounds in a week is great and even if you ate 5000 calories this one day it's not going to put a stop to losing.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    I'm just here to let you know that I'm nodding along with what everyone else is saying. You'll be just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I believe it all depends on your body and how it reacts. I know as long as I exercie and get in water I can swing a few extra for the week.

It is definately going to be a learning experience for you, but don't let it get you down, let it be a learning experience!!
  • Steve_FromThe_Rock
    Steve_FromThe_Rock Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I went over my calories big time today, didn't let it discourage me, just told myself that I would burn the majority of them off....So I worked my butt off on the stationary bike to burn most of them off.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. That means - you have to consume 3500 calories ABOVE your daily calories need to gain a pound.

No worries on those 200 extra calories. One day won't derail all your hard work. Now, depending on what kind of foods you ate to go over - you MAY see an increase on the scale due to water retention. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water and you'll be just fine. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Going over by 200 is better for you than being under by 200 if your goal is 1200.

Look at it logically. At 1200 calories, you're already eating likely 500 or more calories LESS than what it would take you to stay at your current weight. So even going over by 200, you're still under the amount you'd need to stay the same weight by 300 or more calories. So, no. Mathematically, it will not halt your weight loss at all.

However, feeling like you did something wrong by going over by a tiny amount will hurt your progress, because no one likes to feel like they're failing. So don't feel like you did anything wrong. Because you didn't.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Um I don't think going over by 200 calories is gonna do a thing :)
  • thebeadinggoddess
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has made me feel so much better. I know it doesnt seem like much, but I really want this and I want to do it right. I have read on here about some people uping thier calories from time to time but I figured with me being so large that it wouldnt do me any good. I am only 5ft tall.

This has definantly been a learning experience. Excersise wise too. I think I will just take it easy tommorrow and instead of running or jogging I will just walk for a longer amount of time. :)
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Going over your calories can actually HELP your weight loss! I know if I stay on plan for several days and then eat over calories one day, I almost always show a weight loss the day after going over my calories. Many people actually vary their calories like that on purpose (google "zig zagging calories" or type it into MFPs search box) to keep from plateauing.

Check out this calorie calculator to estimate how many calories you should be eating per day, and after you hit "calculate" it will give you the option to see what your daily calories should be if you want to zig zag.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say! Totally accurate and true. Our bodies register averages more than singular days anyway so as long as your average is on track, going over can actually help your metabolism stay on its toes. Keep up the great work!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    10631305.jpg