Holy Egg Nog!

Options
I just got my first quart of egg nog for 2011 (yay Wawa!), I look at the nutrition facts and there are 180 calories in a HALF cup of delicious egg nog. That's only four ounces! I knew it was gonna be bad, but geez. I feel like I just found out Santa wasn't real. Just thought I would let the MFP world know my pain...:sad:

Replies

• KavemanKarg
    Options
    I just got my first quart of egg nog for 2011 (yay Wawa!), I look at the nutrition facts and there are 180 calories in a HALF cup of delicious egg nog. That's only four ounces! I knew it was gonna be bad, but geez. I feel like I just found out Santa wasn't real. Just thought I would let the MFP world know my pain...:sad:

There are times I love being low carb.

Home made egg nog

6 whole eggs
    4 cups milk
    Some natural, low glycemic sweetener like erythritol
    Nutmeg
    Blender
    Yum

:)

Makes a great low carb breakfast shake too. But you better trust your egg source!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    What grade of milk do you use, Kaveman? 2%? Skim?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Mix it with.... gin? Whiskey? What are you supposed to mix Egg Nog with again?
  • Redlybird
    Options
    A trick I learned while working at Starbucks: Cut the eggnog with non-fat milk - half (or even a quarter) nog, half (or three quarters) non-fat milk. The flavor will still be there, but it will be considerably less as far as calories go because you'll cut a lot of the fat out!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Whiskey or rum.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

There are times I love being low carb.

Home made egg nog

6 whole eggs
    4 cups milk
    Some natural, low glycemic sweetener like erythritol
    Nutmeg
    Blender
    Yum

Makes a great low carb breakfast shake too. But you better trust your egg source!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Rum!!! :-) Yummy!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options

Brandy!!!

:happy:
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love egg nog too....the old fashioned southern style my grandfather used to make every year at Christmas. I'm sure it had more than double the calories the commercial stuff in the cartons has. He used heavy whipping cream, the best whiskey (one shot for every egg & cup of milk plus one shot of light Bacardi rum) and I don't have a clue how much powdered sugar he whipped into that cream. Two little 6 oz. cups of his southern egg nog and you should have your car keys removed from your possession. Lol!

You can, however, get the LIGHT commercial egg nog (in season) but don't be tempted to top it off with any whipped topping. You can top it off with a little freshly ground nutmeg. Remember, it's still loaded with sugar and fat calories. Enjoy!
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whiskey, rum, or brandy...you wanna go dark for egg nog :)
  • beefluv86
    beefluv86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned while working at Starbucks: Cut the eggnog with non-fat milk - half (or even a quarter) nog, half (or three quarters) non-fat milk. The flavor will still be there, but it will be considerably less as far as calories go because you'll cut a lot of the fat out!

I can do this one. I know I won't be able to quit egg nog cold turkey, so this will be my next best thing. Thanks!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I buy Silk's Soy Nog... It's just as good, very thick and creamy and has low LOW calories (90 calories per 1/2 cup or 180 per cup!) but doesn't have that nasty "lite nog" taste to it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    EGG

NOG

AHHHHHHH!!!!!
  • maggie107
    Options
    It's times like these that I'm glad I don't like egg nog!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    What grade of milk do you use, Kaveman? 2%? Skim?

I never ever drink 1% milk. 1% milk is enriched by the addition of skim milk powder which, due to processing is highly oxidized. They do this because without adding skim milk powder that 1% milk would just taste like skim milk. Due to loop holes in labelling, they are adding milk to milk, so do not need to mention that on the label. You may as well drink rancid milk and inflame your cells. Give that a pass thanks.

I drink 2% as a compromise to the family. Used to drink homo but we got tired of two milk jugs on the fridge so we met in the middle.

For 10 more calories a cup, I will take real 2% milk over powder injected fake 1% milk any day. I would rather drink coffee mate.

• Redlybird
    Options
    You're welcome! And guess what? Starbucks already cuts their eggnog, whether you realize it or not - it's already been mixed with a lower calorie milk!

It just SEEMS so thick and creamy because it has been steamed, so it picks up body from being aerated. :-) If you have the ability to buy a something to froth the eggnog after heating it, it should do almost the same thing to it!
  • Redlybird
    Options
    I buy Silk's Soy Nog... It's just as good, very thick and creamy and has low LOW calories (90 calories per 1/2 cup or 180 per cup!) but doesn't have that nasty "lite nog" taste to it.

Also, this^!! It definitely isn't as thick, but coming from someone that can't have dairy without taking pills (me! Lactose interolant), it's close enough and has the same flavors. Just a slightly different texture, which I'm okay with because I never liked how thick straight egg nog was, anyway.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I love homemade stuff!!! I made egg nog for the first time last year and man was it good. I like it muuuch muuuch better than store bought.