gaining weight...working out...

Options
Ok...I find when I work out I gain weight in the scale...why is that? I'm eating good too! It's very frustrating!

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It could mean you are taking in too many calories for how much you are working out, or it could mean that you have reached the point to where you are gaining muscle which means you are going to gain weight, but it wont be fat.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Working out triggers hunger for one, many people gain weight when they first start working out. Their personal trainers tell them its muscle, but it aint. Muscle builds slowly.

Its important to monitor your diet and stick to your plan, and be willing to adjust if its not working. Sticking to dietary dogma and ignoring the scale is pointless. If your current plan is not working after a few weeks, and weight is not coming off, its time to assess, modify, change and monitor again.

Through this process I switched over a 3 year period from a food guide whole health balanced diet approach, where I would cut calories again and again, and only get hungry with barely any weight loss, to eventually, slowly, reducing carbs, fearing to give them up until one day I realized I was losing weight FAST and feeling wonderful. I mean truly wonderful.

Now, it could be this will not happen in your case at all. You and I are different. But I wanted to explain my story to illustrate the point that if a diet is not working, you need to assess and change and try and determine why for yourself. Everyone will come at you with some theory, even me :) But usually you will know, somewhere inside, what you need to do next. Its usually pretty obvious too. If you have greatly reduced your fat intake and are not losing weight, maybe fat is not your issue. Maybe its grains? Maybe its dairy? Who knows. Make a change, tweak it, monitor results for a while.

All the best.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    When you work your muscles, they retain water to repair themselves. No worries...truly. If you are logging correctly and staying within your calorie goals, you should not be gaining fat.
  • olivercooper
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am having a frustrating time as I have been on pridnisone and meds before that cause weight gain. docs have said medication fat is almost something i wont lose I'm determined to get rid of this or I'm wondering if they are right...is it pointless!
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kaveman I have been in this process for almost a year and barely losing weight until now, that doesn't mean you won't lose weight, it means that you have to find what is making you fat, for me was the sugar and the fat intake, add more veggies to your diet, reduce fruit intake... Or Dairy. Don't give up you just started a great journey to a better you.