cheese and yogurt

Options
Does anyone know if these count as 'clean' foods.

I've decided to give the diet a try and don't want to do it wrong.

Replies

• DownSheGoes
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count them as clean foods, but I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    cheese is not a naturally made product - we add rennet (an enzyme found in one of the stomach-chambers of a cow) - to make most cheeses and there's no telling what preservative chemicals are in the rennet tablets just to preserve them.

Ricotta on the other hand - when fresh made (you can use vinegar to get the curds), would be considered clean-eating... milk, heavy cream, vinegar, etc....

Yogurt, we add the bacteria to it... if I remember correctly we also have to add something to it to keep the active cultures alive and healthy... never was a fan of yogurt - MAYBE, once in a blue moon when I make Chicken Tikka Masala...
  • FrayedKnot
    Options
    Stay away from all soft and hard cheeses (loadsa cals & fats).
    Stick to non-fat cottage. It's yummy mixed with a bit of tomato puree or herbs/spices.
    Non fat yogurt is great. Try Onken with vanilla.. yummy. I have it with oat bran for brekkie.
    Plain yogurt heated up with fresh ground pepper makes a delish sauce to smack on some lean fillet steak.
    Yougurt's protein so will make you feel full.
    Cheers
    Steve (UK)
    PS For more info try this excellent site:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/94750-eat-clean-foods/
    PPS Feel free to make me a friend
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Okay, fair enough on the no cheese, I can easily do without it.

No yogurt either though ... how do you get your calcium?

I don't like milk.
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    thanks steve, I love Onken vanilla yogurt.

I was worried about the sweeteners. Maybe Onken is better than Muller Lights which I usually buy. Will have to do an ingredient search
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Okay, fair enough on the no cheese, I can easily do without it.

No yogurt either though ... how do you get your calcium?

I don't like milk.

I retain a list of calcium-rich foods, I absolutely LOVE Silk light-vanilla soy milk from which I use in my breakfast smoothies, but I also take Calcium Citrate and D3 because of certain meds that I am on...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as clean as possible, but sometimes fail terribly - I still eat my yogurt though!

I either have Yoplait or we have a yogurt maker at home which is a lot healthier for you I believe. :)
  • FrayedKnot
    Options
    PS For more info try this excellent site:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/94750-eat-clean-foods/
    PPS Feel free to make me a friend
    [/quote]
    PPPS These foods are calcium rich...
    •Salmon
    •Tofu
    •Rhubarb
    •Sardines
    •Collard greens
    •Spinach
    •Turnip greens
    •Okra
    •White beans
    •Baked beans
    •Broccoli
    •Peas
    •Brussel sprouts
    •Sesame seeds
    •Bok choy
    •Almonds

Ha-ha! Just checked your profile. I used to be a Headteacher in a previous life. Keep up the good work, m'lady.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think some cheeses can be considered clean eating,but obviously not that processed crap like American cheese slices in the celophane *gag*
    Here is one of my favorite websites for clean eating recipies: www.thegraciouspantry.com
    Also www.thejoyofcleaneating.com

Good luck!:tongue:
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Thanks,

And thank you for the list frayed knot. I added you as a friend. I won't be starting till Monday though, I have to take 30 children to Alton Towers on a residential this weekend (boarding school trip). Will definitely be on the crappy low fat, aspartame filled convenience snacks I fear.