Why can't some people be happy for you?

Options
Jen788134
Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
Hi Everyone,

I have recently lost 18 lbs really quickly in 10 weeks. I was borderline size 12/14 and now am a size 10 (Which I haven't been for 3 years). This was done by eating a lot less than I was used to and walking everywhere as well as exercising.

Most of my friends and family have been really supportive which is great and I'm the same to them. What annoys me is that some people who are still over weight will say things like.. "you're lucky you're naturally slim" or "you must have a good metabolism compared to me" or "try being my size, then you'll know what being over weight is really like".

If I continued to eat what I wanted and didn't exercise, I would've got bigger and bigger over the years. The fact that I did something about it relatively early meant it was probably easier for me than some who had got into years of bad habits. But please let us all remember that it doesn't matter what size you are begin with.. It's still hard work and needs strength and discipline. If you put on weight and want to lose it and be more healthy then well done and congratulations to you all - No matter how much you've lost or what size you started at!!

"

Replies

• CaoimheAine
    Options
    Truth is they're probably sooo jealous and dying to be in your situation.
    I told Mum today that I had lost a total of 2.6kg so far.. Its been about 4 weeks or so (not much but have gained lots of muscle too) and her reply was "Oh. When I was on Weight Watchers I lost that amount in a week..." and walked away hahaha she is probably the most supportive person I know!
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I understand. I have a LONG way to go yet and still my sister (who is THINNER than me!) keeps saying that it's impossible to lose weight without starving yourself. She honestly believes that in order to lose weight you have to starve, take loads of dexatrim (ew), and / or be bulimic. When I point out a beautiful movie star that has lost weight she says, "Oh don't let them fool you. They 'say' they have a personal trainer but they're really just bulimic." /sigh
    Hopefully when I've lost enough weight for her to take notice she'll take a second look at MFP. Until then, I'll just hang in there. I hope you do too!
    Congrats on the 18 lbs btw!!! :)
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    1. Don't worry what other people think!
    2. You are doing this for you, not for them!
    3. They aren't happy with themselves so until that happens, they aren't going to be happy for anyone else.
    4. I'M HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. It's not about you, they are just down on themselves. They see you losing weight and already are making excuses for themselves as to why they can't do it. Just be proud of yourself and ignore them.
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think that it's mostly jealousy. That and maybe they are upset that you are doing something to make yourself better while they would just rather sit around and make excuses than try to change their own bad habits, Just know you are doing great and don't let anyone bring you down for it :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have recently lost 18 lbs really quickly in 10 weeks. I was borderline size 12/14 and now am a size 10 (Which I haven't been for 3 years). This was done by eating a lot less than I was used to and walking everywhere as well as exercising.

Most of my friends and family have been really supportive which is great and I'm the same to them. What annoys me is that some people who are still over weight will say things like.. "you're lucky you're naturally slim" or "you must have a good metabolism compared to me" or "try being my size, then you'll know what being over weight is really like".

If I continued to eat what I wanted and didn't exercise, I would've got bigger and bigger over the years. The fact that I did something about it relatively early meant it was probably easier for me than some who had got into years of bad habits. But please let us all remember that it doesn't matter what size you are begin with.. It's still hard work and needs strength and discipline. If you put on weight and want to lose it and be more healthy then well done and congratulations to you all - No matter how much you've lost or what size you started at!!

"

the people who dismiss you as being ''naturally slim'' etc clearly aren't ready for the journey you have been on.remarks like that are an exuse on their part. don't worry about them, focus on your new lifestyle and the amazing benefits that it will bring to you and those that are important to you :-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    cough jealousy cough
  • chrisandrews75
    chrisandrews75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They're just re-enforcing their own beliefs, perhaps even subconciously, that there's something wrong with them so they can't do it. Not that you did something right.

I wouldn't take it personally. It's bad enough believing your own demons, let alone other's.
  • Jen788134
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That's one of the things I love about this site.. all the lovely people! Thanks for all your kind words and well done and congratulations to all of you and have a fab weekend :bigsmile:
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    personallly I love it when other over weight people scoff at my weightloss

it's just another sign that I am a strong person for doing this
    they are just jealous they don't have the motivation and will power to take the first steps, and to KEEP moving forward like you, me and everyone else on here is :D

all the people who matter are supporting me, and I hope they are supporting you!

we are proud of you. 18lbs is f*king awesome lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think if they say things like that they might not be jealous haters. Well, they are probably jelly but they probably arne't haters.

That being said though, I think the underlying reason they are saying these things is because they have a faulty understanding of how calories work, and why they are obese and you aren't, and to paraphrase Sheldon: ...unless that's the result of a glandular condition in which case I withdraw that statement.
  • Jen788134
    Options
    Thank you! Congrats on your 14 lbs loss too!! :) I hope your sister isn't going down the not eating route :( The only 2 weeks I didn't lose anything was the 2 weeks I under ate thinking I'll lose it quicker. The good fact is.. your body is like a machine. It needs fuel to work!! Thanks again and good work :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!