cutting out bread??

Options
okay so i am an ADDICT.
i eat WAAAY too much bread and know it myself, (even if it is multigrain) would i be better cutting down/out?
Has anyone else cut out bread and has a story to share?
Is there many nutritious things in bread or is it just possible to get it elsewhere?

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always ate a lot of multigrain things like yourself but now that I am diagnosed with PCOS I have to limit them. I only have one serving a day of carbs from grains (try to at least) and try to get my fiber from vegetables and fruits. Also, I'm adding more flaxseed to my meals for added fiber. I either have greek yogurt with fruit and flaxseed or scrambled eggs with flaxseed for breakfast. It's a tough thing to cut out bread because it's so much easier to take out a piece of bread than it is to wash and cut up veggies but you can do it!
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah originally I cut it out and immediately started losing weight.

If you can't cut it out completely, you could try halfing your portions or switching to gluten free =)
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cut out all "dough"....no bread, pretzels, pizza crust, etc. I feel better and lost weight faster, I am not a fanatic, and will eat it occasionally. When I quit I was eating WAY too much of it, I tried to "cut back" but it was easier for me to cut it out totally and then gradually add it back in...
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread addict too, and am positive that bread was the source of my weight issues. I cut it out almost completely and have succeeded in reaching my target weight now. The only bread like things I ate were small wraps with lunch or maybe a sandwich thin (both around 100 cals). Bread can be very nutritious, but unfortunately is also loaded with cals .........

I now have introduced small amounts of bread into my weekly diet - maybe a granary roll at lunchtime with ham/chicken and salad. And instead of butter/spread, I use philly light.
  • Fatchickslim
    Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm an addict to but I've cut out all bread, in the last 5 weeks I've had two wholemeal buns and thats it. I don't feel as bloated and sick as I was, the first week was hard but it's gotten easier and I dont miss it and I don't need it.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread this week!!! and I'm going well. I cut out cereal/oats for breakfast too!

I have a protein shake for breaky

Salad for lunch

Then cous cous for my carbs at dinners

I eat rye crackers throughout the day when i get tired or hungry

I'll keep you updated on my progress :)
  • Candice83
    Candice83 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt cut it out completely unless you're never gonna eat it again... otherwise if you cut it out til you've lost the weight the start eating it again it will all pile on... maybe just cut down a bit... i know i have and i love love bread.. but i find myself saying no to it a lot more than saying yes these days
  • lardygoinslim
    lardygoinslim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love bread and know I've got to virtually cut it out.. here goes!!

Si :)
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    was eating almost a loaf a day

now try only a slice a day, its hard
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    i wouldnt cut it out completely unless you're never gonna eat it again... otherwise if you cut it out til you've lost the weight the start eating it again it will all pile on... maybe just cut down a bit... i know i have and i love love bread.. but i find myself saying no to it a lot more than saying yes these days

If ever there was proof bread is fattening there it is huh?

Even "heart healthy whole grains" are nutrient light and calorie dense compared to celery, brocoli, kale, romain, baby spinach, etc.. ad nausuem. Compare 100 calories of bread to any of them.

If society returned to the strains of grain we grew just 100 years ago I would likely do an about face on this opinion.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread this week!!! and I'm going well. I cut out cereal/oats for breakfast too!

Salad for lunch

Couscous is still made of wheat you realize whereas oats have the lowest GI of any easily available cerial. You'd be much better off eating oats than couscous. Not that couscous is bad. I love the big pearl couscous stuff. Barley is also an excellent low GI high protien cerial like oats and is a great substitute for rice. But don't give up Oats unless you have some sort of allergy to it. Oats are a wonderful food for weightloss (and make great pancakes :)
  • KavemanKarg
    Options

Salad for lunch

Couscous is still made of wheat you realize whereas oats have the lowest GI of any easily available cerial. You'd be much better off eating oats than couscous. Not that couscous is bad. I love the big pearl couscous stuff. Barley is also an excellent low GI high protien cerial like oats and is a great substitute for rice. But don't give up Oats unless you have some sort of allergy to it. Oats are a wonderful food for weightloss (and make great pancakes :)

Oats, be careful

Preparation MATTERS.

Steel cut oats maybe, but porridge and instant oats have a score of 60, which is the same as honey smacks and barely less than a doughnut.

It also has a lower satiety rating then either of those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't discriminate. I love all foods equally.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Salad for lunch

Thank you for the concern :) My boyfriend said the same thing. haha
    I know cous cous isn't as slow digesting as oats, but I can have a tiny amount at dinner and be full. Whereas at breakfast I'd need more to get my started.
    I love oats, and intend of going back to them, but the macros I have worked out at the moment are almost perfect to the % I want haha so I'll do this routine for a month or so
    I like to switch up my foods every few weeks to keep my body guessing :wink:
  • loriidan
    Options
    I too LOVE bread. My husband has always said that I would do great in prison, with just bread and water!! So when I started this journey, I cut out ALL grain products. No cereal, no pasta, no oats, and mostly NO BREAD. Once I got past the first 4 weeks I started allowing myself a slice of whole grain toast two to three times a week. It's been a lot easier than I thought. Once you realize your kryptonite, you are already halfway to goal. Best of luck!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be necessary to eliminate it from your diet but if you're neglecting fruits and vegetables and eating all bread sources it would probably be beneficial to moderate.

If it would be easier for you to eliminate than moderate, then maybe that's what you need to do.
    You won't magically get fat by reintroducing breads to your diet provided that you stay within your caloric intake totals as you add bread back in.
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bread as well as all grains. I no longer feel bloated, weighed down and no acid re flux so far. I am having success losing weight after stalling for a month.
  • emandbensmom
    Options
    I used to be a bread addict as well, but when I started my healthy eating journey, I cut it out completely for 6 months. Once I got closer to my goal weight, I began to add it back in and found it didn't even really appeal to me as much any more. Now, I typically have a low carb, high fiber, whole grain tortilla once or twice a week (mainly for convenience as wraps are easy for eating on the go), and one serving of whole grain high fiber cereal a day and that's it. After 7 months I've lost 58 pounds and I've lost 16 inches around my waist. I think cutting out the bread had a LOT to do with the change in my midsection (bread and lots of exercise!) It will be hard at first, but I encourage you to give it a try.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 140 for what seemed like forever. Originally that was my goal, but I was very unhappy at 140 -- still had a huge roll of fat around my midsection, my arms were "puffy" and I didn't feel any healther than when I was 50 pound heavier.

I was one of those robots eating my "healthy" grains every couple of hours and I did lose at the beginning, but then just stopped.
    I cut out all grains. All. No more one slice of 14 grain toast for breakfast -- instead I added an orange to my eggs. No more 14 grain bread or ancient grain wraps for sandwiches for lunch -- instead I used Romaine lettuce leaves and did wraps in those with my chicken. And no more pasta for dinner -- instead I found ways to make the plate covered with veggies and my protein, like using spaghetti squash or sweet potatoes (foods I had never realized I enjoyed). The weight burned off my stomach and my flabby arms. Now my arms are toned and I don't mindlessly have to eat every 2-3 hours because my blood sugar spiked from the bread. I'm happy maintaining at 126-30, and will every once in a while have bread (which results in a 2 inch increase in my stomach size within a few hours and a huge increase in wanting sweets), but am more happy without it than with it.

FYI - I don't have any sort of gluten or allergy.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I was stuck at 140 for what seemed like forever. Originally that was my goal, but I was very unhappy at 140 -- still had a huge roll of fat around my midsection, my arms were "puffy" and I didn't feel any healther than when I was 50 pound heavier.

I was one of those robots eating my "healthy" grains every couple of hours and I did lose at the beginning, but then just stopped.
    I cut out all grains. All. No more one slice of 14 grain toast for breakfast -- instead I added an orange to my eggs. No more 14 grain bread or ancient grain wraps for sandwiches for lunch -- instead I used Romaine lettuce leaves and did wraps in those with my chicken. And no more pasta for dinner -- instead I found ways to make the plate covered with veggies and my protein, like using spaghetti squash or sweet potatoes (foods I had never realized I enjoyed). The weight burned off my stomach and my flabby arms. Now my arms are toned and I don't mindlessly have to eat every 2-3 hours because my blood sugar spiked from the bread. I'm happy maintaining at 126-30, and will every once in a while have bread (which results in a 2 inch increase in my stomach size within a few hours and a huge increase in wanting sweets), but am more happy without it than with it.

FYI - I don't have any sort of gluten or allergy.

My girlfriend feels the same way right after eating grains, she will do a grain fast with me sometimes and at the end, this very thing happens. I have not experienced the immediate bloating when I do have the rare grain serving. Very interesting to me you mentioned it.