Greek Yogurt (info and tips)

Options
If you don't know yet, greek yogurt is kind of the new thing. With twice the protein, it is quickly replacing the regular brands of yogurt. Some people still have not made the switch as it is quite a bit more tangy than regular yogurts. Especially the plain variety and those without fruit. Flavors with fruit add carbs, so if you are watching carbs, opt for the vanilla or plain. If not, enjoy some fruity goodness. Don't forget to stir!

Here is a tip, add a packet of Truvia or Stevia in the Raw to sweeten to your taste while adding no sugars and minimal carbs.

To add quick calories and fiber, add a half serving of flax seeds. :) Great for breakfast!

Enjoy!

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Love this stuff! I have been buying plain and adding in some reduced sugar preserves. Another good thing is add in Stevia, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Yum!

I use it in recipes instead of sour cream and buttermilk.

I'm a big fan!
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. I been mixing some in with Oatmeal. Makes for a filling breakfast.
  • andrialindsay
    Options
    uggggh. Plain greek yogurt with flavored stevia (like strawberry, or vanilla, or orange) is my weakness! Even better is adding blueberries and chopped almonds. I mean seriously I could get my self in trouble over greek yogurt. Sometimes I just have it for dinner. The protein really packs a punch! A great option for those who have a hard time getting enough (I have the exact opposite problem lol)
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    I put a scoop of protein powder in mine. Mixes very easily.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Over here in the UK with have Total 0% fat Greek Yoghurt. It's a great way of making Indian Curry dishes without the fat.

fage-greek-yogurt.jpg
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I found a great tip that said when making muffins, you can replace half the oil in the recipe with 1.5 times as much greek yoghurt.

Can be a bit tricky to work out the first time, but I write it in pencil in the recipe so I don't have to do it every time. As an example, a colleague gave me a recipe for Morning Glory Muffins which said to use 1 cup vegetable oil. I put in half a cup of vege oil, and half a cup plus two tablespoons of greek yoghurt and they turn out beautifully!

Another recipe I was given recently was for super easy, super yummy pizza bases. 1 cup greek yoghurt and 1 cup self-raising flour. That's it. need it till it's elasticy and cut it into quarters for enough dough for four people to roll up and load up with veges and light cheese for their own personal pizzas! best tasting pizza dough I've ever had :)

Lastly, I take 5mL of High Strength Fish Oil every day for my health. This stuff is hard to stomach even with it's 'fruit punch flavour'. If you take it by itself, it leaves a greasy film down your throat which feels awful. i tried taking it with OJ and taking it at night, but it repeats on me terribly!

The fruit punch flavour is actually quite nice, so I started stirring my 5mL dose into a serve of yoghurt at night for a snack and it really does the trick!

Peace out :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I buy the plain then add my own fruit and high fiber cereal.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with a cup of fresh berries and a little honey. I also use it as a substitute for sour cream. I'm going to have to try some of these other suggestions. Thanks!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! :)