ideas for healthy high cal snacks needed please?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Since going gluten free/low carb and also limiting rice and potatoes I'm struggling to make at least 1200 cals.

I end up adding a choc bar or packet of crisps or something which kind of defeats the object of healthy eating!

I know nuts are high cal and considered healthy but have severe nut allergies so they are out.

so I wondered if anyone has any ideas of other high cal snacks i can add to the day that are healthy but will help make up the cals.. (about 200-300cals) as I often only make it to just over 1,000 cals without adding unhealthy treats.

Thanks

Replies

• ChristopherOren
    Options
    When I was low card I used to chew on Turkey jerky as a snack. ...
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a good one. A 1oz serving is approx 110 cals
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I usually do jerky, cheese, or protein bars (I like RAW bars the best)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Cheese. A small salad with avocado. A protein shake.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    oh yeah i forgot about cheese! I don't tend to have it much.. strong ones give me splitting headaches but I love Wensleydale.

Years ago I used to sometimes have cheese with chopped apple, packet of crisps and bread and butter for a light lunch, so maybe I could do apple slices with cheese as a snack?

Is dried fruit good (like apricot) or are they very high sugar/bad fat?

.. I've never tried avocado what does it taste like? Not really into the protein shakes but I've had Ensure plus before, the strawberry one isn't too bad and are 330 cals,, but I thought something to munch on would satisfy me more. I'll have to check out 'jerky' is that an american thing? I've not heard of it over here (UK)

oh.. by the way what is hummus? (don't laugh.. I've never had it!) and how many cals would that be with carrot sticks or something?

Thanks
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    protein shake with a tablespoon of peanut butter..yummy!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    nuts- all kind of them
    tehina(very healty!)
    halva
  • shakybabe
    Options
    peanut butter's out.. severe allergy!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    peanut butter's out.. severe allergy!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    avocados are very healthy and high in calories and fat
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hummus is very healthy if u make it at home
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    sliced Avocado, cheese or hummus paired with fruit and/or rice cakes, a gluten free protein powder mixed with fruit and soy or regular milk (use low fat or full fat milk for additional calories), popcorn (you can splurge on the more buttery kind), Greek yogurt paired with fruit.

These are the ones I can think of given that you have a nut allergy. Good luck and hope these suggestions help.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    hummus is made out of chickpeas/garbanzo beans and it's yummy! I'm thinking it's similar to peanut butter calorie wise, about 100 calories per tbsp ?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    hummus is very healthy if u make it at home
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

How would I make it at home?
  • judithmageras
    Options
    When I’m low, I eat dates or figs - they are super foods and are among my favorite things!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I ordered some hummous to try.. I wasn't sure if I'd like chickpeas as never tried them so got one with jalepeno pepper flavour as it got good reviews. Got some carrot sticks to go with it as I can manage raw carrot, not a fan of celery.. and couldn't think of anything else to dip in that wasn't tortilla's.. lol

so 1 teaspoon will be about 100 calories?
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Not sure why you are eating crisps on low carb, but definately stop! That is sabotaging the effort.

Try hemp hearts, amazing amino acid profile, amazing lipid profile, amazing nutrient profile, 5 tbsp has 340 of action packed healthy calories.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    Love hummus. Very easy to make with a food processor - olive oil, garbanzo beans, season to taste.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I don't eat tortilla's I was just saying thats the only other thing I could think of, probably cos of Dorito's ads on TV!

I've never heard of garbanzo beans, I'll try this ready made hummus first and see if I could get used to it!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat egg white omelets with veggies, yogurt, veggies and spicy hummus:flowerforyou: for a snack.