pasta serving sizes

Options
I know I have seen this question asked before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The serving sizes in the database for pasta are when it's dry, right? Aside from the obvious, measuring it out and making just one serving...is there some conversion that can be used to figure out how much cooked pasta one is using.

For example. 1 serving of Barilla Tri-Colored Rotini is 2oz. I am assuming that is dry, what does that look like size-wise when it's cooked??

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know I have seen this question asked before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The serving sizes in the database for pasta are when it's dry, right? Aside from the obvious, measuring it out and making just one serving...is there some conversion that can be used to figure out how much cooked pasta one is using.

For example. 1 serving of Barilla Tri-Colored Rotini is 2oz. I am assuming that is dry, what does that look like size-wise when it's cooked??
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    2 oz is about 1/2 a cup I think... Hang on and i will look. I CAN tell you that a 1.2 cup of pasta is about right.
    BRB.
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Nope I am wrong 2oz is a 1/4 a cup. I am ASSUMING they mean cooked.
    Which does not look like much. :frown: In answer to your question the COOKED pasta would be DOUBLE that. if the answer is dry to cooked. SO, If YOU are right and they mean DRY, then COOKED a serving size would be 1/2 a cup. Which looks more like it.
    :ohwell:
    --Diann...
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is from Ilovepasta.org

How much cooked pasta does one pound of dry pasta make?

It depends on which shape you're cooking, but you'll get a pretty close idea from this chart:

Type of pasta Uncooked weight = Cooked amount
    Small to medium pasta shapes
    (Elbow Macaroni, Medium Shells, Rotini, Twists, Spirals,
    Wagon Wheels, Bow Ties, Mostaccioli, Penne, Radiatore, Rigatoni)
    8 oz. uncooked = 4 cups cooked

Long pasta shapes
    (Spaghetti, Angel Hair, Linguine, Vermicelli, Fettuccine)
    8 oz. uncooked or 1 1/2 inch diameter bunch = 4 cups cooked
    Egg Noodles 8 oz. uncooked = 2 1/2 cups cooked

So 2oz of dry rotini would be 1C cooked
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wikianswers says 2 oz is a cup cooked???
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Wikianswers says 2 oz is a cup cooked???

That sounds about right to me :smile:
  • BreeWaterson
    BreeWaterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 cup is a 2 oz serving, I have stuck to this and lost over 30 since June, so my cal measurements must be pretty on...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much a cup is, but on my pasta pack it says a serving = 75g dried pasta = 170g cooked pasta.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I just divide it up, for example:
    I make 8 oz of dry pasta, then after its cooked,I measure it out into four equal portions, using a scale.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    The measurements is for 2oz dry which will have a larger volume and weigh more when cooked. That is what the boxes say too.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    2 dry ounces ounces of Barilla spaghetti = 1 cup of cooked spaghetti
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Get a scale...it will be one of the best investments you make!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I usually cook one serving and weigh the cooked weight then I record it under "my foods" so I will always know how much a serving is. I find that it varies depending on the shape of the pasta or the wheat content so I always do this when I try a new type. A good ballpark weight for cooked pasta is about 200g per serving. For me, they range from 180 - 220g depending on the type. Usually the weight on the package for one serving is the dry weight unless it specifies "prepared". I would recommend weighing rather than using a cup measure, if you can because it is a pretty calorically dense item and it is easy to over estimate a serving.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that 1 cup cooked pasta = 1 serving of uncooked pasta
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I have weighed my spaghetti dry to get the right serving size, and it honestly is less than a cup when it's cookied. It's more like 3/4 cup once it is cooked.