Unrealistic Ideals and a realistic-looking model

Options
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/the-plastic-surgery-a-model-needs-to-look-like-barbie-2584798/

A model who looks like a real person (I can see curves and fat!) compares her body to a Barbie doll to prove how ridiculous it is.

Replies

• Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a great article and a fantastic pic! Thanks!
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    Interesting and so true that human women cannot have Barbie proportions but.-

this article should more accurately be titled "The Plastic Surgery a PLUS-SIZE Model Needs to Look Like Barbie."
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think they should choose someone who has the same proportion hips and then compare...because the model has too large of a build to compare to barbie (small build)...
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    love it. Thank you so much for posting this.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I saw this article too, but I think the image would have been more striking if they had used a standard model, rather than plus-sized. Girls with body-image problems will look at this illustration and think "well she's fat anyway, obviously she doesn't look like Barbie." (I'm not saying she IS fat, but a person who is obsessed with being thin would definitely think she is.)

We know that NOBODY looks like Barbie. I think it would have been interesting to see a very thin supermodel compared in this way, and to see that even she does not measure up to Barbie's standards!

(Note-- personally, I have never wanted to look like Barbie. She was fun to dress up, but her feet always freaked me out. haha)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    well theyve hardly chosen similar body types.

A lot of people forget that barbie is only a doll.
    Theyd probably have to scoop away a fair chunk of that model to look like kate moss too or all sorts of other women. Its not really groundbreaking news that a doll isnt exactly realistic. My face doesnt look much like a girlsworld either.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    yeah, I would like to see it with a regular model too - I wonder just how much surgery SHE would need....

Exactly-- I'm guessing it would still be quite a bit!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    my daughters baby dolly has a soft cloth body full of beans. Im disturbed by how unrealistic this is. It also doesnt *kitten* or anything. I hope this doesnt make my 3 year old feel bad about herself.