It's not rocket surgery people!

Options
melzteach
melzteach Posts: 550 Member
(((climbs up on soapbox))) **disclaimer** If you happen to get offended by the following information I'd thank you to keep negative comments to yourself. This is what I believe and no amount negative snarky remarks will change my mind.

In the past 9 and half months I've exercised 6-7 days a week. I've been keeping my food diary and realize I used to eat too much. I was 177 pounds and I'm now 154 pounds. I used to be a 14 and now I'm an 8. With how things are going I'll most likely go down another size or two.

For this lifestyle change I had to take baby steps. I personally think that too many changes will inevitably lead to failure, and reverting back to your old bad habits.

I had to start out by exercising every day. I knew that in the beginning, even a rest day would likely turn into two, three and I wouldn't stick to my workout schedule. As an elementary school teacher and mother of two I knew that I was either too busy or too tired to "fit in" exercise at the end of the day. I had to make a tough decision, I needed to workout in the morning before work. Which means I have to get up at about 4am so I have time to workout, shower, get ready for school, get the kids up and ready for school, get breakfast for everyone, get lunches for everyone packed, and be out the door and at school by 7:30.

As far as food went I wasn't delusional enough to think that I could maintain a diet of 1200 calories when I was clearly eating well above that. Since I was exercising evert day I knew I had to gradually lower my calorie intake or....you guessed it I'd end up feeling deprived, then overeating, feeling guilty, feeling like a major failure and then giving up. I always eat my exercise calories because I want to loose fat, gain muscle, and look great. I realize that not eating exercise calories will help you loose weight however, you're losing fat and muscle. Muscle helps you burn fat it's a good thing to have. I believe that not eating exercise calories will lead to being skinny/fat. Which is when you're skinny but have a lot more fat than muscle on your body.

This journey is not always easy. There are some days that are hard. Then there are some days that are complete failures. This is not about being on a diet. This is about a permanent change in how I live my life. It's about making long lasting changes that are sometimes hard.

Now listen up. There is no quick fix to weight loss and being healthy. Any product or person that claims to guarantee weight loss in a short amount of time without regular exercise and lowering calorie intake/counting calories...is LYING! There is no magic pill or special powder to sprinkle on your food or depriving diet that will get you to get healthy and lose weight. Those prepackaged "healthy" meals are high in sodium and preservatives. You don't want to put chemicals in your body. So every time you watch an infomercial about a powder to sprinkle or pill or unhealthy low cal diet or a high sodium prepackaged food plan...slap your face or call me and I'll come over and do it for you.

For you to be successful you've got to have your heart and head in the right place. You've got to be prepared to work hard. That means pushing yourself during your workouts, eating fresh healthy foods, and understanding what happened to get you in the shape you're currently in. You didn't get unhealthy overnight and you're not going to see long lasting results overnight either. This is going to take time and that's okay because you've got your whole ife ahead of you!

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    well done that woman !!! :) keep going :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what is rocket surgery?
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! Diets don't work!!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    rocket surgery??
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well said except I think it's rocket science....but seeing as how some folks like surgery for fat loss I can see where you were going in the post!

Someone asked me how I got so large to begin with...it's easy, you don't look at yourself, get into bad habits and "suddenly" (really like a few years) you are over 200 and muffin tops are now car tires!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You go!
  • fat_tastic
    Options
    Thanks you've actually cleared up a couple things for me like eating your exercise calories. It just didn't make sense to me but since you explained it I do understand it now.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    Well said!
  • chrisandrews75
    chrisandrews75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's brain surgery by rocket scientists. Twice as hard.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I agree with you. :)
  • melzteach
    Options
    what is rocket surgery?

It's a joke.
    Rocket Science + Brain Surgery = Rocket Surgery
  • gabbyhayes82
    Options
    very nice thanks
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    what is rocket surgery?

Is that all you got from her post? I think this qualifies as snarky.

Great post - good for you!! You've got it dialed in!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    AMEN Sister! You said it, we know what to do, quit complaining and just do it already! Woot!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a VERY long time to get my head in the right place to do this properly and you summed it up beautifully - thank you :smile:

I've yo-yo'd for the last 30 years and I dread to think of the damage I've done to my body over the years. When I was a teenager every "expert" said 1000-1200 calories was the required allowance if I wanted to lose weight, I was doomed from the start! And I was going to hell if I ate cheese! I was 161 lb when I first tried to lose weight and that's actually less than my current provisional goal :ohwell:

I'm here for the long haul and my primary aim is to be fitter than that stupid (and very unfit!) 18 year old I used to be!
  • NanciKay
    NanciKay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So every time you watch an infomercial about a powder to sprinkle or pill or unhealthy low cal diet or a high sodium prepackaged food plan...slap your face or call me and I'll come over and do it for you.

:laugh:

love your brashness! keep on keepin' on! thx for sharing...:flowerforyou:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Where would one go to school to become a rocket surgeon? Harvard? NASA?
  • melzteach
    Options
    Where would one go to school to become a rocket surgeon? Harvard? NASA?

Since rocket surgery is such a specialized field there is only one school in the world that offers the proper education and inservice opportunities...a Harvard NASA hybrid. :laugh:
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    what is rocket surgery?

It's a joke.
    Rocket Science + Brain Surgery = Rocket Surgery

I thought I was the only one who said that! =) Love IT!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!