New Battle

Options
My new battle after joining this site and logging my meals and snacks is that I look at everything as fat, calories, and carbs. I know this isn't all bad but I am not entirely sure that this is a healthy behavior either. I don't want to eat so many foods, some that are even good for you or even necessary like milk...Its just so many calories. Have you had this behavior? How do you deal with it?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion control!:drinker:
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Not sure how you lost your first 44, I would just keep it up! People are going to argue your food choices forever here :) Even dairy you mentioned is gonna stir up debate. When it comes to dairy, people have agendas LOL

I go by the 80/20 rule, and that those few large changes matter more than a whole bunch of little ones.

Like, stop eating sugar instead of counting sugar, etc...

Or exercise daily, instead of combing the net for that perfect program every free minute, just go do it.

The big changes matter, so try to keep yourself from being to caught in in the minutiae of it all.

Peace and keep inspiring us! 44 pounds is awesome and keep it up!
  • kelseydaniels
    Options
    I was VERY surprised at myself for doing the same thing just yesterday at the grocery store. Although MFP heavily focuses on the calorie count, I also have been trained by my family to consciously watch what I'm eating. What if I ate my daily 1200 calories from all McDonald's meals versus 20 spinach salads? I don't have much guidance for you, more letting you know I feel your pain. I agree with the saying, "everything in moderation", even counting calories. Make sure your food contains micronutrients, is from the earth and not a lab, and don't eat crap. :)
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    its an awesome change, i can recall the days i could chow down 3 donuts at one sitting not knowing thats 1500 cals & that i practically was having my whole days cal in one sitting. As 1 person b4 me says its all about portion control & as u go on u learn that its ok to have certain things but smaller portions & that exercise is very important. I make exercise such a part of my daily routine so that it doesn't feel like i'm actually working out. For e.g I park my car & walk to the store instead of driving, take the stairs instead of the elevator, just keep moving.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I kind of have that thought process too. Like yogurt is suppose to be good for you because of the protein but it has a lot of carbs and the same way with milk. I look at it like this: if I eat the yogurt it is better than a donut or some other sugary thing for breakfast or if I drink milk I get more good from it than if I drank orange juice or something. I have learned that you have to weigh the good against the bad sometimes. I know I am probably not much help but I have really been struggling and this is how I have started to change my lifestyle change.

Good luck and never forget that you are an inspiration to us all. I wish I could say I have lost as much as you!!

Hugs
    Bev
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    I myself think that is a part of this until the pattern of food choices is established. You have achieved an amazing loss and I think I understand your feeling about always thinking about the nutrition info. The best advice you have been given is to enjoy anything in moderation. Where you are happy with the changes like from sugar to natural sugars or whole milk to skim make the change and don't think of it again. Where it is not comfortable or satisfying than just know it once and compensate that in other areas. You are a terrific inspiration. Good luck on changing the way you view food.
  • aecmagn
    aecmagn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. several years ago, i heard a doctor on television say something like this. he said that people are either in full calorie counting mode or no calorie counting mode. he used this example: when you have a meal while fully engaged, you will not eat the cheeseburger, the bun, the corn or vegetables with butter or any potatoes--you'll have a salad. when you not engaged in weight loss, you eat the full cheeseburger, the fries, skip the vegetables altogether. he said he wished there could be this middle ground where people ate the lean burger with no cheese, vegetables with a tsp of butter for flavor, a whole wheat bun--or at least a half--and live more as a moderate. Ths has crossed my mind many times through the years, as I diet and have none of these--or am completely off the reservation and having only the bad stuff. I know when I'm dieting, for instance, I eat no butter whatsoever--little or no ground beef--cheese--milk...
    I think this is what you are saying.