I binged last night :(

Options
I completely, totally, utterly blew it. I didn't even log it because I don't even know how much I ate. I just went into a food trance and didn't snap out of it till my belly was all stretched. I feel awful this morning - physically, mentally and emotionally. Any advice for me today? I just needed to get this off my chest.

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My advice is to forgive yourself.

Look at what you have or haven't been eating lately to see if theres a way you can moderate those cravings.

But no matter what, forgive yourself. You are human, we mess up from time to time. There is no need for punishment.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've said it before...but it bears repeating...

Guilt is only useful if you channel it to do better next time.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    All you can do is start the day fresh and try not to repeat it....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The best way to deal with a screw up is to just push on like it never happened. Dwelling on it will just make it worse. It happened, it's over, move on.
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone! Just gotta pick yourself up and do better today.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last night. But I let it go, put on my running shoes and hit the streets! I'm not worried about last night...let it go and get some exercise today. :flowerforyou:
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This article seemed to help my sister with her binges.

"Weight loss, the million dollar question, how do I lose weight? Well I got to ask you, how did you gain the weight in the first place?

Being overweight isn’t the real problem, it’s just a symptom of overeating. Forget dieting and exercising.

In order to lose weight and keep it off you need to get to the root of the problem. If you are overweight and are trying to just exercise or diet then you are trying to cover up your unconscious overeating with a bandage. Underneath the bandage the overeating habits will still be there. And even if you were to lose the weight, you won’t be able to keep it off unless you take a deep look at why you eat.

Binge eating is the most common overeating mechanism. Binge eating is simply eating too much food. Often people binge eat to deal with stress, fear, anger or other tough emotions. A common binge eating episode is eating a whole tub of ice-cream at the end of a stressful day. Another common binge eating episode is dieting and crashing. This was my biggest problem when it came to weight loss. I would diet extremely, eating too little, and I’d be able to keep it up for a few days. However on the 6th or 7th day I would crash, and binge eat – basically eating all the fatty sugary foods I’ve been avoiding.

Binge eating is something I personally dealt with for years. Which is why I wanted to give you 7 tips to stop binge eating, or avoid binge eating in the first place.

1. Do NOT diet.

Dieting doesn’t work. I’ve tried all the diets. I would be able to keep a diet up for a few days. But then I would have a day where I would crash, and binge eat. Rather than trying to diet to lose weight, try to slowly improve your eating habits. Instead of eating 5 junk foods a day, try eating 4 for the next 7 days. Once you have done that successfully then trying eating 3 junk foods for the next 7 days etc.

2. Eat fatty or sugary foods in controlled moderation.

Do not deprive yourself of foods you crave. Otherwise you will keep increasing your craving for that food. One day you will crash and binge on that food. Eat fatty and sugary foods you craved in controlled moderation. Control the portion size. It’s not a good idea to order a whole large pizza for yourself if you only plan on eating 2 slices. Rather it’s better to order a personal sized pizza.

3. Understand that weight loss is HARD.

Commercials for weight loss products make weight loss look so easy. It’s NOT. Loosing weight and keeping it off is one of the toughest goals one can achieve. However you can achieve it slowly over time. Trying to lose weight too quickly by eating very little or exercising for extremely long sessions will not work. It will lead you to crashing and binge eating.

4. Forgive yourself.

There will be days where you are too week to say no, and will binge eat. It’s ok, forgive yourself. Don’t let the feelings of guild creep in. Don’t try to be a perfectionist. You are NOT perfect. Rather forgive yourself, and move on. If you let feelings of guilt and disappointment creep in, you probably will feel overwhelmed, give up, and binge eat some more.

5. Tell a friend.

Tell a trusted close friend of family member about your binge eating or overeating habits. More often than not they will be very supportive. They will even ask you what they can do to help. Request that they ask you every now and then about your progress with improving your eating habits. This will help you stay accountable with your commitment to stop binge eating.

6. Read up on how to stop binge eating.

If you can’t stop binge eating, and this is a very serious problem for you then make a commitment to get it handled. Read everything you can find about the subject. You can start by reading many of the tips articles I have on my website How To Stop Eating.

7. Team up with others who are trying to stop binge eating.

Found: http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2008/08/26/7-helpful-tips-to-stop-binge-eating/
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself of how it felt--physically, emotionally, etc.--the next time you have the urge! Your body has changed! That's a good thing. Don't fight it, just go with it!! You're different now.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Who cares...I got totally drunk last night ate hotdogs nachos and did tequila shots! Guess what, today is a new day so log it and forget it! You are the keeper of the castle and just because you let one day get screwed has nothing to do with the days you did great!

Next post from you should be that you kicked the days *kitten* in your workout!
  • Corey_louise35
    Options
    I did the same thing. I went over my calories big time. I don't really what came over me other than FOOOOD it looks so GOOOD.

I felt ashamed for a while, and then said, today is a NEW day, and I WILL DO BETTER.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Why do you sound like a dark lord of the sith?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options

cuz I'm evil...plain and simple. And I lack sensitivity.
  • sarkris
    sarkris Posts: 41
    Options
    thank you everyone. Im going to make myself some oatmeal and buy myself some handweights today.
  • SannaBourne
    Options
    The regret after a binge is the worst feeling in the world.. but what can you do, wake up the next day with a positive attitude and pretend the binge never happened. Keep going!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us. Put it behind you and keep moving forward.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I won't say forget it, b/c it's useful to be able to pull up the memory of just how miserable you felt after the binge when you're tempted to do it again (ask me how I know :wink: ). But forgive yourself. It's done and today is a new day. Drink lots of water to help flush out the excess sodium that probably came with the junk, and just make the firm decision to not let that slip keep you down. Good luck; you can do this!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I hear the dark lord is in really great shape.....
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    We have all been there. I was there last Sunday. Ice cream, snickers bars, oreo cookies, anything I could get my hands on. Next day I felt like utter crap - physically and emotionally. I promised myself I would get back on track and now, one week later, I feel FANTASTIC again. This thing we're all doing, it isn't a phase. It's a journey. And on any journey speed bumps and detours and road blocks are bound to happen. But you just find your way through it and will see that for every speed bump is a smooth road following.

I'd read someone say this, and it's a good thing to keep in mind: if you were walking up a flight of steps and you tripped on one, would you turn around and walk back down? No. You'd keep going.

You tripped. Now keep going.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

cuz I'm evil...plain and simple. And I lack sensitivity.

hahahahahahahahaha
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing last night. I ate pizza and breadsticks and a few pieces of halloween candy at my friends while we were watching movies and then later on my way home I stopped and got a double dip ice cream cone. I got home and thought "what did I just do". I logged it all on here and then after pulling myself off the floor (I had consumed almost 3000 calories in one day), I just worked out. I worked out for about an hour an a half and although it still showed I came over by 150 calories, I was done. My point was I decided that those things aren't worth it. I refused to feel guilty because I am human and I am bound to make mistakes but I have to learn from those mistakes and hopefully it won't happen again. I would just take a few days and work out extra hard and anytime that you are about to eat something you think might not be the best choice, think about all of the work you will have to do to burn those calories. Good luck.