Diet Soda

Options
what's your opinion on it? some people tell me it makes you really bloated, and it actually makes you gain weight /:
i have been drinking diet soda throughout my whole diet, and it didn't affect me at all.. but now im wondering maybe i would've made more progress without it

what do you guys think?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neuro316
    neuro316 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think one or two cans a day is fine. Also you probably don't want it to be the only liquid you drink. But drinking a can of diet soda is not going to make you gain weight, or keep you from losing weight. Everything in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda since my 20's with no issues from it. While there's sodium in it, I drink it for my caffeine boost. Diet Pepsi rules!!!
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't cause weight gain, nor does it prevent weight loss. I sometimes use it as an appetite suppressant to ward off cravings actually.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is bad news. I'm sure doctors say it's fine in small doses, but if I drink more than a can a day or too much artificial sweetener I get a super bad headache from the sweetener and it makes me feel horrible. No other soda/caffeine makes me feel that way, so I'm sure it's the sweetener. I would rather drink juice, water, tea, or even a regular soda and count it in the calories. I avoid it at pretty much all costs.
  • SewJoe
    SewJoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda is okay. One thing I learned about caffeine is that it's a diuretic, so I like to make sure I drink an extra glass of water if I have too much coffee or soda. This practice has helped me a lot--I was just drinking lots of coffee, tea and diet soda and did not lose weight and felt a bit bloated. I added lots of water to the day and problem solved :~) I'm also a fan of those little no calorie 'mix-in's for my water. Sometimes just a little sweet is all I need, so I keep those on hand for when I don't have soda.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with neuro316. Also, as an alternative, I've found Dr. Pepper 10 and I love it! It has real sugar, but only 10 calories. You may want to try it...
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda occasionally and have had no issues. I never feel bloated after at all. But then again, I don't drink it often. My mom on the other hand is the most in shape person I know and she drinks like 5 a day.
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda is okay. One thing I learned about caffeine is that it's a diuretic, so I like to make sure I drink an extra glass of water if I have too much coffee or soda. This practice has helped me a lot--I was just drinking lots of coffee, tea and diet soda and did not lose weight and felt a bit bloated. I added lots of water to the day and problem solved :~) I'm also a fan of those little no calorie 'mix-in's for my water. Sometimes just a little sweet is all I need, so I keep those on hand for when I don't have soda.

Hey thats great advice ! thanks
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Since I have trouble drinking enough water, I just opt for a flavored water instead of a diet soda. I really like the Sparkling Ice brands because they are a little carbonated.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is bad news. I'm sure doctors say it's fine in small doses, but if I drink more than a can a day or too much artificial sweetener I get a super bad headache from the sweetener and it makes me feel horrible. No other soda/caffeine makes me feel that way, so I'm sure it's the sweetener. I would rather drink juice, water, tea, or even a regular soda and count it in the calories. I avoid it at pretty much all costs.

Then Diet Soda is bad FOR YOU. You clearly have an averse reaction to the sweeteners. If you don't have this reaction, its fine :)
    One thing I learned about caffeine is that it's a diuretic, so I like to make sure I drink an extra glass of water if I have too much coffee or soda.

This is completely false. Modern research has proven that the diuretic effect of caffeine is far, far outweighed by the actual fluid in the drink. Moreover, your body gets better at extracting the water the more of it you drink, to the point where's its practically the same as pure water. Remember, water itself is a diuretic.
  • LoveMyFour
    Options
    While I'm sure it's better to NOT drink it, I drink it, often, and it hasn't slowed my weight loss IMO.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time