I'm new too :-) Any tips for traveling on business?

Options
Friends have had some great successes from this site so figured I'd try it. Really like the app on my BB (when my BB is working!) but challenge will be next week, when I'm traveling Monday-Friday and eating every single meal in a hotel or restaurant. Any suggestions? I'll be in L.A. where many restaurants post calorie counts on menu so that helps but very few meals are less than 700 calories and being small, I only get 1,200 calories a day!
What have others done when traveling? Thanks! Sunday

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I used to travel, I called ahead to the hotel and asked for a refrigerator. Then I packed food in my luggage frozen and it stayed cold until I got to the hotel and unloaded it. I ate as much of what I prepared during the week that I could instead of eating out.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    i pack lots of crunch type bars. They are usually only 120 - 200 calories a pack. I eat them every couple of hours instead of a meal (usually lunch and for snacks) a banana or fruit for breakfast and a sensible dinner (grilled chicken, or fish and veggies). i travel a lot and do ok like this. hope it helps.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I used to travel, I called ahead to the hotel and asked for a refrigerator. Then I packed food in my luggage frozen and it stayed cold until I got to the hotel and unloaded it. I ate as much of what I prepared during the week that I could instead of eating out.

I've done that traveling too. Our motel had a microwave and fridge in the room, so I went to the supermarket and got Lean Cuisines. It was also a lot cheaper than eating out, but I didn't have work footing the bill ;)
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I eat out on business and usually put on about 1.5lbs over a week...not necessarily because of food choices but because I dont exercise ... I try to eat healthily, maybe a boiled egg for breakfast, stay away from the croissants, butter etc..lunch is never in hotel but sandwiches in the meeting..BAD but no choice. Dinner in hotel no starter, no dessert, skip potato/fries/sauce ask for more veg...I am on 1200cals a day also

If you can fit in some exercise/walking then good for you x
  • scotto105
    scotto105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drive truck for a living and find it very hard to eat out especially on long over the road trips. I usually try and find a restaurant that not only posts its nutritional information but that has specific healthier items (truck stops are starting to get better but it is very tough) I look for subway's as much as possible and if I have to eat at a restaurant that does not have nutrition info I use my blackberry and look up the calorie content on line. Then I practice strict portion control. It is very tough and sometimes a problem especially since I travel a lot but that is how I deal with it.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Forgot to add there is always the drinks at some point :-(((((
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've travelled a lot through Asia for business - ha - and you thought that within USA was hard :)
    Sorry I can't help you - that's how I put on about 10lb but interested if anyone has advice for travelling outside USA, Aust, Canada, UK and NZ
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you have to go to restaurants, don't be shy and feel you have to order off the menu. Most restaurants will have the food you SHOULD have they just don't offer it on the menu. If you see they serve breakfast, and also have a Patty Melt sandwich, then they CAN make you rye toast with a scrambled egg, tomatoes and a half slice of melted cheese on top. I could eat that for breakfast lunch or dinner!!! You can't be worried about "hurting the restaurant's feelings".
  • SundayRiver2u
    SundayRiver2u Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm definitely going to incorporate them next week and will keep you posted! Best, Sunday