IBS Sufferers!

Options
Do you guys have any problems with having a hard time losing and or gaining weight?

What do you do?

Are you on any medication or supplements?

Any advice for someone with IBS-C who has a tendency to flip flop between C and D on a whim?

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My IBS seems to be better controlled since I am eating healthier. No problems at all recently. I am the C and D back and forth type too.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have trouble keeping to the outlined foods of a diet but not losing weight. Quite often I'll really want to try out an eating plan but i get absolutely smashed in the D-department. 2 things work really well for me (or should I say my colon) - Atkins (which I'm not fond of) and juice fasting. Can't eat fruit, but on nothing but juice it's amazing!!
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm still having issues even though I'm doing everything I'm supposed to :/

My medicine recently quit working so I've had to increase my dose and supplement it with an over the counter medicine. :/
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am an IBS sufferer too! I have C just like U. So far I have lost 9 pounds since about 3 weeks ago. I portion control and exercise everyday! I have noticed now that I have been eating healthier my IBS has been doing alright. How long have U been on here?? I hope things go well for U :)!!
  • Alice230
    Options
    Well,I was diagnosed with it a few years ago and it only seems to flare up whenever I get really anxious or stressed. What I do is suck on a peppermint and rub some Icy Hot on my abdomen. It seems to help immediately. It has never affected any weight loss for me.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I used to have major major IBS. I then cut out dairy and it made it so much better. I only have out breaks when I eat something I shouldn't. Can you work out what is making it appear. I used to find taking peppermint tablets really helped. x
  • LadyNeshoba
    Options
    If I seem to flip to D I live off of peppermint tea. It helps alot.

I'm working out a lot. Anywhere to 40min to an hour on most days.

I've never had an issue with dairy, My flareups are extremely random. One day I can eat something and the next day or two day's later I'll eat the same thing and be living in the bathroom for hours. So We're never really quite sure what my triggers are to switching to D.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and inflammatoryBS as well, and haven't found that it has affected weight loss. I've lost about 12lbs in 6 weeks..
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I'm right there with you all! Was Dx about 14 years ago. However I haven't noticed any problems with weight loss. I never took anything for my IBS, just watch what I eat and know what can trigger it.
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I get it and fatty foods trigger it plus stress.............and bread! The healthy type too so I try and avoid insoluble fibre, potatoes and fatty things. I also find that ginger tea soothes my poor tum.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A good probiotic helps. I used to use Align, but recently switched to Sam's Club brand. I find the probiotic really helps with the bloat. I used to get so discouraged exercising when I was bloated. I was just BLAH! It's hard to get motivated to work out when you haven't pooped in a few days :):(

I was also recently diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency. (My level was 20 and the minimum is 30.) My doc put me on prescription D. I don't know if it's the D or what, but I am one regular (happy!) girl. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with many ailments, though I haven't really seen any digestive correlation.
  • LadyNeshoba
    Options
    I have tried the probiotic stuff. I've have tried just about everything I could before I started taking my Amitiza. Nothing helps. I'm still horribly irregular and going weeks at a time with out going to the restroom just stinks for weightloss and for motivation. I'm glad that I'm not the only one but I am also glad that you guys have found relief. lol! I just wish I can!