Losing weight after 50

Options
Hello, I need to lose 30 pounds but just can't seem to find the energy to do it. I'm 54 years old and really feel like 30, so that's a good thing!! I am an avid bike rider putting in about 40 miles a week on the road bike. My other exercises running, step, and weight class have been curtailed due to a recent back issue which is better now! My eating habits are not very good right now.
I am starting back to Step class today, but really don't feel like doing it! Maybe if I tell you folks this, it will help me get back on track, don't know!! How do I get out of the slump, the weight just comes off so slow if at all right now, very discouraging!!

Replies

• Allisonjean1964
    Options
    Go to the class!! It will be fun! I love step, I don't go to class anymore but I step at home. I'm 47 and I can sympathize with the losing slow part, but losing anything is better than losing nothing!
  • BetteEdmonson
    Options
    Is there a pool near you? Try taking water aerobics for your back issue. It has been a lifesaver for me and my joints. Used to LOVE step class but it is pretty "pounding" to your back and joints. Try a few other options, especially if you don't like step. You either do or you don't. Get some variety in, watch your diary and don't go over in any category and you should begin to see the pounds coming off. Best of luck. Friend me if you'd like. I'm 63 and have seen my share of pounds coming and going!

Bette
  • pasofan
    pasofan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just started this week. I have already found that if I stay close to my recommended carb/fat/protein ratio my enrgy SOARS!!! Now that's just me. Al li know is Monday I had to force myself to do my weight routine and by yesterday I could not wait to play one of my exercise DVD's.
    Oh, and I'm 56 years old..
  • ljc1853
    Options
    I feel you....I just started back a month ago trying to lose weight and I'm turning 60 soon. I have lost 10 lbs so far since sept 8. I just keep pushing myself to aqua arobics 3 nights a week and plan out each days menu. It'll come off just need to be patient and you'll see results! Good luck!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    the feeling of no energy or motivation has nothing to do with age. Once you stop listening to the lazy person inside you and create an energized person in yourself and listen to that one, the energy comes by itself. It took me about 2 to 3 months till I didn't have to convince myself to get up and get moving.
    On the other hand, when you can't loose weight and always feel tired, let your blood be checked to see if there are thyroid problems. Also hormones can get insane with age, getting them in balance can make a huge difference too.
    Good luck with getting back on the healthy waggon, be strong!
  • GentlyLosing
    GentlyLosing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue. It's great to be active and you absolutely should be. But, I have found that weight after age 50 (esp for women in menopause) comes off better by lowering calories along with the exercise and by not eating as much in the evening. The ease of logging everything on MFP has been the biggest help for me to keep my calories at a reasonable level. Measuring/weighing everything keeps it all correct (my eyes don't see portions correctly. HA!). And the support of friends is invaluable!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I feel your pain, you are way more active than I am, at 53 I am always exhausted and have to push myself, I also feel like I am still 35ish... lol. AFter a long long 16 mths on a horrible project at work with 12-16 hr days and 6 days a week I was so out of shape and very low on iron. Menopause issues, lack of sleep the major one, a cycle that lasted 70 days back a few months ago (outta the blue) did not help, but I am finally on the path. I have increased my activies to 5 days a week at least 45mins and almost weaned off the diet caffine free coke (down to 3 per week). I have finally dropped 13 of the 40 I want to loose as my 1st goal. I actually would like to drop 60 but I am trying to achieve smaller goals day by day.

Best of luck to you I know you will do it... once you set your mind, I think that is 60% of it right there!!!! The 50's is nothing like it was when we were kids you know...!!!
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sue--I so hear you. I'm 56. After two laparotomy surgeries (I'm sure I am not spelling that right!) within a 6 month period, I found myself afraid of exercising and needing to lose 30+ pounds. I was afraid I would rip/tear/ aggravate something inside, and I went from functioning ovaries and hormones to zero.

Since I started here in mid June, I've lost 13 pounds without gaining any back. I naively had thought I could shed those 30 in 3 months--wrong! But having MFP to log calories is fantastic and really has helped me "see" what I'm eating--and I'm actually a little surprised given what I used to eat that I don't weigh more!

My biggest problem which also effects my motivation to move is not being patient with a body that has been through a lot and it is not laziness so much as despair. So to try and keep myself positive, I have been picking up a ten pound weight and thinking "I've lost this!" and that feels really good. Also, keeping measurements of inches really is a positive reinforcement that you are doing the right thing, even when the scale seems sooooooo slow to reflect all the changes you are making.

And don't open those threads "I lost 60 pounds in 2 months!"--they will drive you crazy!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I am 51 and have the same problem. I have been counting calories and eating healthy and it has taken me a year and a half to lose 39 lbs, and that's with being very diligent with eating right and exercising. It so discouraging when I read about people who have lost over 100 lbs. in a year but hey, they say everyone loses differently. I am currently battling my second plateau. I have been hovering around the same number on the scale since August. I got over the first plateau by giving up eating anything made with flour. That really helped me lose about a pound a week for another 15 lb. loss but then things settled and I am now very frustrated but I am not giving up. I've got 35 lbs to lose to get to goal so I'm gonna hope to get there eventually. The good thing is that now my cholesterol is in a healthy range so I am very happy about that.

It's true that it's harder to lose as you get older but it's not impossible. So don't give up.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need to lose 30 pounds but just can't seem to find the energy to do it. I'm 54 years old and really feel like 30, so that's a good thing!! I am an avid bike rider putting in about 40 miles a week on the road bike. My other exercises running, step, and weight class have been curtailed due to a recent back issue which is better now! My eating habits are not very good right now.
    I am starting back to Step class today, but really don't feel like doing it! Maybe if I tell you folks this, it will help me get back on track, don't know!! How do I get out of the slump, the weight just comes off so slow if at all right now, very discouraging!!

I am with you. I am 53 and it was going pretty good and the last 3 months have been really tough, not to mention a knee injury. I am sticking with the plan, however; I did change my setting back to lose 2 pounds a week from 1. I am upping the protein and cutting the carbs again. Hang in there. If you are doing it, it will work!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and started MFP in June 2011. I have lost 22 pounds from June-Sept, and for the past few weeks it has bounced up, down
    2-3 pounds. I'm trying new recipes maybe this will help. skinnycrockpot.com
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356978-women-ages-50-for-october?page=11#posts-5011825

here is the link to a thread called "women ages 50+" the thread has been going for a long time and is filled with supportive women who have many solutions and tactics for the challenge of weight loss over 50. Come check it out.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, and I honestly don't think I would have achieved weight loss like I have without MFP. Not just the logging of calories, but the general support and useful information too. But yes, it does take patience; it's a cliche, but it is about lifestyle change forever, not short-term fix. Sometimes that long-term perspective helps me when I'm a bit low on motivation.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, and I honestly don't think I would have achieved weight loss like I have without MFP. Not just the logging of calories, but the general support and useful information too. But yes, it does take patience; it's a cliche, but it is about lifestyle change forever, not short-term fix. Sometimes that long-term perspective helps me when I'm a bit low on motivation.
  • meldickman
    Options
    Hey Sue!
    I believe I am in the same boat. I too have been fit my whole life and I am 46. The last couple of years my blood pressure has suddenly been a problem and the weight started creeping on. My Dr. put me on meds whick make me tired and he also says I am going through premenopause which he said my hormones were extremely out of wack and that is causing me to be tired as well.He said that this is causing my metabolism to slow down and it will be harder to maintain weight and lose weight.
    I am not going to let this get the best of me so I started MFP about a month ago and love it and I will keep you motivated if you will help keep me motivated! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and I know what you are saying. I am lucky if I lose a 1/2 pound a month. But I am losing.
    I get so frustrated. But hey one day we will look back and laugh at this.
    We can do it yes we can! add me if you like.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    First of all YES YOU CAN! Second, get friends on here you can friend me if you want but read the disclaimer! Everyone of my friends supports me and inspires me! You can do the same! We are in this together and together we will lose the weight, move on to a better lifestyle and enjoy what years we have left and I am assuming we have about 40 to 50 years to go!

So get with it and look at the end of the tunnel because that is either a new day ahead or a pretty big truck!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 54 and post-menapausal. I started at 267.5 when the doctor told me I had prediabetes. I lost about 20 really quickly by cutting out Diet Coke and chips and junk food. I waited until it slowed a bit and I felt better and then joined a gym and have lost 3 more in the past two weeks. I start seeing a trainer on Monday. It has helped me that one daughter has lost down to the healthy range and the other who is heavier than I am has joined the gym with me and is making some steps toward eating healthier. My husband has also lost 15 pounds. Logging everything ahd having friends to be accountable to has really helped. My daughter prods me to go to the gym on days I don't feel like it and I motivate her on days she doesn't want to go. I am by nature kind of lazy or I wouldn't have gotten this heavy, so having someone to push me really helps. If your bakc is healed it's time to hit the gym again. Have fun!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue! Welcome to MFP! I'm also in that 50+ category with about the same amount of weight to lose as you. I love being able to track my calories daily to see exactly what I'm eating and how it adds up. I've also made some huge changes in the choices of food since starting here. I find myself looking for healthier foods now..... imagine that!

The support I get and the friends I've made here are fabulous! I think you'll love it here. Good luck on your journey! YOU CAN DO IT! :happy:
  • SueB54
    SueB54 Posts: 5
    Options
    To all of you who have responed to my post, Thank You. I did go to Step Class this morning and realized how much I missed it. According to Fitness Pals I burned 715 calories so that amount is added to my daily intake today, wow!
    I have a husband who supports me and does all of the exercise with me too, so that really helps, of course he doesn't have to lose any weight but he is my biggest supporter!!
    I plan on using my Spin Bike tomorrow, I'm just getting started!!