Alternative for a Banana base in smoothies?

scottbe07
scottbe07 Posts: 16 Member
I am not a fan of bananas, but I am trying to eat them daily. However, I do not have any left in my house and was wondering if anyone has a yummy fruit base ideas for a smoothie???

I have apples, oranges, pears, plums, pineapples and mangos...but I do not know what to do with 'em!

Replies

• Hmmm... I like smoothies as well, but, really don't like adding ice and rarely use bananas. Maybe try freezing some of the fruit you already have and just using those? I'm pretty sure I make smoothies differently than everyone else though, lol...
  • Just chuck 'em in! :) We tend to just throw whatever the heck we feel like in ours, as long as it is fruits and veggies :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    why are you eating something you dont like? they are pretty high in sugar, i dont think i would force myself to eat them
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    I would use all of those for a smoothie. I always use whatever I have.
  • Hmmmm. off the top of my head I can see an apple pie smoothie, an orange julius, a tropical mango pineapple concoction...

Apple pie smoothie- vanilla extract, apple, milk and apple pie spice. If you want to sweeten it up a bit add some splenda or how about making it a protein packed smoothie and add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder?

Orange julius smoothie- orange, vanilla yogurt or milk, tsp honey

Tropical smoothie- your fruits, frozen non fat vanilla yogurt and maybe even some coconut extract.
  • I add a little greek yogurt instead of a banana. It helps to thicken the smoothie a bit, without adding as much sugar as a banana does. It's a good source of protein too. Just be careful choose a "no sugar added" version.
  • scottbe07
    scottbe07 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for all the tips!!! Appreciate it!
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    I really dont do bananas, the smell makes me nauseous :frown: but i will throw frozen fruits, cherries, strawberries, blueberries etc in, as well as low fat greek style yogurt. that and a scoop of my slimming shake. its yummy
  • I just made a really great smoothie the other day. Frozen strawberries, blueberry yogurt, and a little bit of milk. Doesn't sound like much, but it was delicious!