Yellow squash....help!

Options
I just bought some yellow squash and I don't want to fry it so what do I do with it?

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I usually steam it and put it in pasta.
  • mckeowbc
    Options
    Grill it, then toss with a little olive oil, some parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Roast, I do that with gem squashes, they taste like a Sunday dinner, but by roast I mean just throw on some herbs, garlic, onion, what ever you choose... Then eat with a spoon xx

Enjoy xx Or make a soup xxxxxxxxx Hugs and night xx
  • rainbowsmoothie
    rainbowsmoothie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roast with a little olive oil, chopped red chilli, crushed coriander seeds, salt & pepper.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Roast it, v hot oven, no need to peel. Just chop it up and pop into a tray for half an hour, add some chopped rosemary or thyme, lovely. Leftovers make fab soup , pop into some stock and whizz up.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I asked this question the other day (yellow squash and zucchini). I ended up sauteing mine in coconut oil and a little smart balance, with red peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of garlic pepper and a dash of salt. It was REALLY really good.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I saute mine in garlic and olive oil and add it to my egg whites. Also, for dinner
    slice vertically and roast in the oven. Once it starts to brown, add some tomato sauce, oregano, and shredded cheese.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half lengthwise, drizzle a little italian dressing on them and toss them on the barbeque grill for a few minutes, until soft but not too soft. Yum!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I asked this question the other day (yellow squash and zucchini). I ended up sauteing mine in coconut oil and a little smart balance, with red peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of garlic pepper and a dash of salt. It was REALLY really good.

This! I make mine with mushrooms and green peppers too... I never eat it all so I use the leftovers in a quick morning frittata. (make bacon, reheat the veggies in the pan add some fresh spinach when hot and the spinach is wilted pour beaten eggs on top (i do 1 whole 2 whites) sprinkle with a little part skim mozzarella and crumble the bacon on top. Stick it under the broiler for a couple minutes until the eggs set and the cheese gets melty and bubbly. with 2 pieces of bacon the whole frittata is roughly 350 calories and I can't eat the whole thing so I call it 2 servings at a little over 175 cals each.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just slice it and steam it with onions and a little butter, salt & pepper.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Since it appears that I will be the only one eating it I might just freeze it.... I read that I can cook it, blanch it, cool it, and freeze it. I think it can be put in soups right? I'm also going to freeze the tomatoes I just bought (We are still freaked out about the Listeria outbreak and are cooking all produce lol). There should be something that involves yellow squash and tomatoes.... Its a big thing down here and I'm not a Southern girl, but I know it is suppose to be good and I want to start trying new things. Hmmmm still doesn't take away my craving for a nice juicy slice of pizza! lol :blushing: