Do you workout when you're sick?

Options
I've been off the MFP wagon for the last couple months, and finally got my motivation back. I started going to the gym regularly again last week, but the last few days I've been hit with a terrible cold. I don't want to lose momentum by spending too much time away from the gym, but I'm so congested I'm light-headed.

So what are your thoughts on working out while sick? Do you push through? Or take the time off to let your body heal?

Replies

• sadlazarus
    Options
    I push through, but I'm willing to bet that it's frowned upon.
  • nanbeam
    Options
    All that does is ensure that you pump that virus to every nook and cranny in your body. Feel better first and then work out!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If its above the neck, yes. If its below, I know that exercising can do more harm than good, so I don't.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    If its above the neck, yes. If its below, I know that exercising can do more harm than good, so I don't.
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I move my workouts home until I am not contagious anymore. But I don't stop unless I absolutely can't do anything. However, I may ease up a bit on the intensity, only a bit. Working out seems to help my sickness. It's when I am sedentary that prolongs it.
  • Khorner84
    Khorner84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In my case....Im sick right now accompanied by an awful cough. I start coughing like crazy when i try to work out (im coughing quite a bit just typing this). My goal was to get moving on monday but i dont know if that will happen. If there wasnt a cough....i would work out.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I rest when I am sick. If I exercise when I am sick I find I stay sick longer. Usually a day or two I feel good enough to start again.
    Also don't go to the gym if you are sick and spread germs...if you choose to workout do it at home.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    nope
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Where are you working out? If at the gym, perhaps consider the feelings of those around you too? I get pretty upset if I'm working out and the person on the machine next to me is clearly full of germs...

The average cold takes 3 days to brew, 3 days to clear. You can probably sit it out without doing any serious harm. Walk if you feel you need to stay active. A brisk walk is excellent exercise, but won't put heavy strain on your body.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dont work out !

If your body is sick it will tell you by giving you cetain hints !

ie tiredness, rundown etc etc...... how can you expect to exercise properly when you are like this......rest get better and go to the gym with gusto ! .............plus no one else at the gym will thank you for passing on your cold
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No, I just rest until I feel better. I don't want to tax my immune system even more by pushing myself too hard.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I workout at home so yes I work out if I'm sick. BUT that is only if I'm also able to do all my normal day to day tasks. If I were so sick I couldn't work or take care of the kids, etc - I would take time off from working out too. I'm currently battling a head cold. Nasty thing that has me up coughing all night. But I still workout as best I can since I can also do chores, etc too. I think you just need to listen to your own body and of course if you workout at a gym, consider others.
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Understand you don't want to lose the momentum, but you'll do your body so many more favors by just resting up and getting better only. My doctor told me that if it's just a head cold (and it's kind of mild), you can lift weights but under no circumstances should you do cardio-- you're weakening your body by using so much energy--- but it's just generally frowned upon anyway. Rest up, drink a lot of water and OJ!!! Get well soon!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    As long as the illness isn't in your chest, you're fine to workout. It's even still recommended that you keep working out because it can help you get better faster.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    Don't be "that person"! We feel you are diseased with an intent on afflicting others. Stay home, get well...return when u are better.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    No way, I would rest up! I don't get sick very often, so when I do I rest...
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly ever REALLY sick. My stomach barely ever causes me problems, coughs are rare. So when I do get sick, it's usually just a cold, sore throat and a stuffy nose. With that I still work out and I find it even helps me get better. It gets the blood flowing, the nose running and it refreshes me.
    Only when every limb aches and I just want to lie down and sleep do I stop working out.

So I'd say: Don't use a runny nose as an excuse to not work out. But DO listen to your body. It will tell you when it's not up for workouts.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how sick I am. Sniffles and a headache, I'll still work out. Febrile, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling like I was hit by a truck, I'll pass.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Depending how sick I am, if it's a runny nose. I work out through it. If my body aches, have nasal congestion. Then I'll wait it out till the body aches go away, then I'll be back on my exercise routine. Might not be as intense, but enough to get my blood pumping, and hit a heart rate in the 140-150's.
  • catfisch_6
    catfisch_6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as the illness isn't in your chest, you're fine to workout. It's even still recommended that you keep working out because it can help you get better faster.

I've heard that if you are sick, you should try to stay as close to your regular schedule as possible, because excersice actually gives people energy. However, if you are coughing, or haveing any trouble breathing, I would do something light, like walking.

Hope you feel better soon!