Circuit Training Question

Options
Hi all. I have been thinking about ramping up my workout routine with a few days that include circuit training.

My regular routine has been to mostly do just cardio---4 to 5 days a week--1000 cal. burn or more on cardio machines.

I would occasionally add in a few weight machines to do arms, but no real strength training,

I was thinking circuit training in addition to what I am doing, maybe 2-3 days per week would be good.

I go to Planet Fitness. When I search circuit training in the Exercise section here I get Curves or generic. I have no clue what Curves circuit training is like. The Curves circuit for 30 min, says I would burn about 220 cals. The Generic says 420 cals. So what is the difference and would the Planet Fitness circuit be more generic or Curves style?

Also, for those of you who do this circuit, what exactly should I be doing in between machines in the center area? Just going up and down the step? Running ib place? Stretching? What?

Replies

• klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Firstly, don't rely on the MFP calorie burn values for generic circuit training, they are the only exercise I have found that was way off (MFP gave me too many calories. The curves amount is probably close to what you are doing. With that being said, circuit training is awesome and a great way to avoid being bored. What I did at first was used exercise videos to circuit train. JM's 30ds and Chris Freytag's 10lb Slimdown series were really great. Once I got the hang of the weight trainIng moves used, I went outside and made up my own circuits. Mine consist of cardio (usually running 1/4 mile), then leg and arm strengthening exercises with weights, then about a minutes of abs. Then I do the cycle all over again, changing up the weights and abs. Sometimes with my quarter mile run, I pick up the pace for 50 yards or so, then slow down to a jog and repeat. For weights, I do a lot of squats, lunges, hammer curls, delt and tricep work, and shoulder presses. You could do any cardio, running in place, jumping jacks, quick-paced step-ups, as long as your heart rate is high. I use my hrm to make sure I stay in a good range. Hope this helps!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard you work it, but circuit training can burn a ton of calories not just during the workout but also during your recovery period. Generally speaking though, go with the lower of the estimates of how many calories your burned.

I usually burn between 300 and 400 calories for 30 minutes of circuit training, but I go at it pretty hard.
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Bumping for more input--and thank you for the info so far.

I did my circuit today--and feel I went at it pretty hard. In lieu of the single step thing, I ran in place at a good pace. I did all the machines. The circuit reccomends 12 reps per machine during the circuit--I did more like 24-28 reps on most of the machines.

I logged it for now as 300 cals (somewhat more than the curves one and somewhat less than the generic one)--though I am wondering if it would be more or closer to the 420 of the generic since I am still a bigger girl (and the bigger you are the more cals you burn at the same effort as someone smaller???)

Anyway...would love more input.
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yea i am a plant fitness member also and the 30 min circuit training is intense a great workout i would say for sure you are burning at least 300 calories. as for the steps in the center that's exactly what u use them for its just like step aerobics go at it, at the best pace for you...
  • Suebert83
    Options
    My planet fitness added a "Biggest Loser" board on exercises to do on the steppers. It was really helpful today!
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I do the PF circuit around 4 times a week and there are those that just "step" on the stepper and those that go full force and do it with the hand weights or squats off the sides of the step. I rotate between quick steps with arm raises, side squats off the step, mountain climbers and high knees. There is a circuit class at the location that I go to that is really great and is geared toward those that really want to push themselves. I love the ab class as well, but it all depends on the trainer directing the class and how hard they push.
    There is a calculator for circuit training on the Self magazine site that gives a pretty good rough estimate as to calories burned as well. I just Google circuit training calculator and self and it pulls up.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have been thinking about ramping up my workout routine with a few days that include circuit training.

My regular routine has been to mostly do just cardio---4 to 5 days a week--1000 cal. burn or more on cardio machines.

I would occasionally add in a few weight machines to do arms, but no real strength training,

I was thinking circuit training in addition to what I am doing, maybe 2-3 days per week would be good.

I go to Planet Fitness. When I search circuit training in the Exercise section here I get Curves or generic. I have no clue what Curves circuit training is like. The Curves circuit for 30 min, says I would burn about 220 cals. The Generic says 420 cals. So what is the difference and would the Planet Fitness circuit be more generic or Curves style?

Also, for those of you who do this circuit, what exactly should I be doing in between machines in the center area? Just going up and down the step? Running ib place? Stretching? What?

Why add in more cardio, why not do some proper strength training? Are you sure you are burning that much, does your heart rate monitor say so, are you doing epically long workouts? Cardio machines tend to overestimate, as you get fitter the body becomes more efficient at doing the same activity so burns fewer calories.