muscle weight vs fat weight

Options
I just need to get something off my chest that drives me NUTS every time I see somebody post it.

MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT! A pound is a pound. They both weigh the same! It may take up less space, but when it comes to weight, it is all the same.

That is all.

Replies

• MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    That is true! Once I realized it, it made me realize that, that was a silly theory :laugh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have never understood why people freakout about this so much. It makes sense to me.

Thats like asking which has more calories, chocolate or broccoli? And responding with: Well its the same. 100 calories of chocolate is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. Thats not really what they asked...

When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" They mean by volume.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Actually muscle is more dense then fat so it does weigh more.

However it does annoy me when people say you've probably put on muscle weight when you gain a few lbs.... Because there's no way you are going to put on a few lbs of muscle overnight.. if your weight increases over night its more than likely just water or the food in your system..
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I have never understood why people freakout about this so much. It makes sense to me.

Thats like asking which has more calories, chocolate or broccoli? And responding with: Well its the same. 100 calories of chocolate is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. Thats not really what they asked...

This.
  • shaaazb
    shaaazb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess people just mean to say muscle is more dense than fat.... I'm sure everyone knows what is meant!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...broccoli....
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    couldnt agree more xx
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    dinny be so up yourself, everyone knows a pound weighs a pound, when they say it they mean that a a smaller volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat....surely anyone would realise this.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Yes, a pound is a pound. But when people say muscle weighs more than fat they mean BY VOLUME. A pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    dinny be so up yourself, everyone knows a pound weighs a pound, when they say it they mean that a a smaller volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat....surely anyone would realise this.

this..............
    obviously a lb is a lb...........
    but a person who has a lot of muscle can weigh more than a person who physically is fatter, and "looks" much bigger..........
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    All I got out of this thread was the chocolate and broccoli have the same calories. YES! I KNEW IT :D I'm taking this new found knowledge and running with it. *do a little dance!*
  • MsQt
    Options

No not everyone! Some people actually think that. I have seen some people on this site that will tell someone who has gained (example) 5 lbs that maybe they gained muscle mass and that may be why they are heavier but the problem is when you look at their diary have eat unhealthy foods (Pizza, Chinese, fast food, fried food, etc) and for exercise would be: light house cleaning) . You have to do something different to get different results. Sorry about all the rambling lol...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

No not everyone! Some people actually think that. I have seen some people on this site that will tell someone who has gained (example) 5 lbs that maybe they gained muscle mass and that may be why they are heavier but the problem is when you look at their diary have eat unhealthy foods (Pizza, Chinese, fast food, fried food, etc) and for exercise would be: light house cleaning) . You have to do something different to get different results. Sorry about all the rambling lol...

That's nothing to do with muscle vs fat weight tho, that's to do with people being dumb and giving an answer without actually checking the facts
  • MsQt
    Options

That's nothing to do with muscle vs fat weight tho, that's to do with people being dumb and giving an answer without actually checking the facts

I must agree with that too!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

This!
    What is the point of freaking out about it? Of course people mean it weighs more for the same volume DUH
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

This!
    What is the point of freaking out about it? Of course people mean it weighs more for the same volume DUH

Thank you! Again another example: Which weighs more feather or bricks? Bricks! Because when someone asks that they meanBY VOLUME. If the specifically say a pound... well then you are right. If not? Then no need to flip.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Obviously some people will never get it.

Not freaking out, just venting.

Carry on....
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

This!

Thank you! Again another example: Which weighs more feather or bricks? Bricks! Because when someone asks that they meanBY VOLUME. If the specifically say a pound... well then you are right. If not? Then no need to flip.

True, and I tend not to freak out anymore. Bothered me in the beginning but not so much anymore.

But . . . if you were bet me which weighs more bricks or feathers and leave the rest of the bet undefined I'd win with my feathers. Broccoli too for that matter. The main reason it bugs me personally is because it's incomplete.

A few deep breaths, to return to center, and I'm willing to let the "standard implication" serve as the completion.
  • Primrose1960
    Primrose1960 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ha! its like the joke which weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of lead!
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    All I got out of this thread was the chocolate and broccoli have the same calories. YES! I KNEW IT :D I'm taking this new found knowledge and running with it. *do a little dance!*

Yay selective hearing!!!!!

Dancing!!!