Excited/Anxious for Food in Israel!

Options
tiedye
tiedye Posts: 331 Member
So I'm about to embark on a journey to Israel, and I'm both excited and anxious about the food there! From what I hear, they have excellent fresh fruits and vegetables, especially citrus. I'm not really sure what else to expect. Falafel? Hummus? Olives? Fish? I hate fish. I always feel anxious about eating away from home because of all the hidden oils and salts in the foods when I eat out. I am not going to be able to log onto MFP but will write down what I eat in a little notebook just to see it out on paper (by now I can generally estimate cals). I always eat a meal in a local McDonalds ONE time because I love trying the regional menu items (call me crazy).

Anyone ever traveled out there? Comments on the food and healthy options? I will be walking all over so I'm not worried about being away from the gym.

How does everyone else handle travel and food and staying on track when you can't log on?

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Been there! Awesome!!!! Try the cous cous if you've never tried it...the way they season it is SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Have a great time and take LOTS of pictures...beautiful country!!!!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    You are going on vacation or at least a great adventure. Enjoy yourself but don't go over board. You can worry about the scale and calorie counting when you get back. Eat the local cuisine and enjoy yourself!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been to Israel but unfortunately it was so long ago that I don't really remember the food. How long are you gone? I was only there a week or so, so not enough to do any significant damage anyway. I generally do pretty well when I travel with work or with friends, but unfortunately, vacation with family is often another story. All the walking you'll do will definitely help, so just try and listen to your body and make the best choices you can. I'm sure you'll do great and most of all, have fun!!! It's a fabulous country to visit because it's so incredibly different than North America.
  • tracy80s2003
    tracy80s2003 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    YYAAAY!!! You are going to LOVE Israel! I traveled there in March for 2 weeks. I was very worried about the food situation. There is a LOT of hummus and falafel there. Their fruits and veggies are wonderful! I ate a carrot straight from the ground from Israel and was the best carrot ever! LOL. They do have McDonalds and their food is reeeally good but way different than the U.S. Their chicken nuggets actually taste like chicken and their french fries actually taste like potatoes. Hehehe. You will love it all! I was worried and brought a jar of peanut butter just in case I didn't like the food and I was glad I did for a snack... but the food there is wonderful. If you have any questions about Israel just let me know. :) THIS WILL BE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. Take tons of pics and enjoy every second. :):):) I hope I can go back some day soon. :)
  • smpurely
    Options
    I lived there for a year back in 1984, but I am not sure my experience will help you much because I spent a lot of time on a kibbutz, and on the kibbutz, breakfast and dinner was mainly veggies and dairy products. If you stick with regional foods, there will be falafel, veggies, fruits, hummus, olives, cous cous, breads and spreads, and all sorts of salads. They eat the larger meal for lunch, which will include some sort of fish or meat. That being said, it is a global economy, and foods from every nation are surely represented there. Even back in 84, there were good chinese restaurants. Also, they do have internet access, so if you want to, you can still keep track on here. *smile*
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I spent 3 months in Israel, though it was before I started counting calories so I don't exactly remember how bad or good everything was in terms of nutrition, and I spent a month on an army base where most of my diet was white bread (yum.).
    There's likely gonna be a lot of Israeli salad (chunked tomatos, onions, and cucumbers with a lemony olive oil dressing), falafel, shwarma (definitely not low calorie but really delicious)..
    For fruits, you have to try a shesek... I've never seen one in the US; I don't even know what the English name for it is, but it's small, shaped like a roma tomato, and orange.
    While you might not be able to figure out to the exact calorie what you're eating, if you write down what you do eat, take reasonable portions, and try to keep active, you'll probably be fine. Most of the Israelis I know are healthy weights, so if you eat like them and stay active like them, you'll probably be fit like them too.

Also, if you see Alexander Shatilov walking around (he's an Israeli gymnast, just won a bronze medal at the World Championships, and is gorgeous), please kidnap him and send him to me. You can count it as cardio. Thanks :)
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great responses!! I am going for a week to visit family and plan on doing sightseeing the whole time, and plan on sampling all kinds of local cuisine, healthy or not, in moderation.

One of my favorites is halvah, it's a sesame seed paste type dessert and is like 400 cals per square inch practically. I have only had the imported kind in the US and I'm psyched to have REAL halvah in Israel!

Again you guys are awesome, thanks for all the suggestions and ideas!