Anybody else do this?

Options
I will go measure out a bowl of tortilla chips for a snack with some salsa. When I see how small the bowl of chips is for 140 calories, I put them back in the bag. I tell myself I just can't "spend" 140 calories for so little chips! Happens to me all the time now, I look at foods and figure out how many calories are in them and whether or not it is "worth" it.

P.S. Ate a can of tuna mixed with a tablespoon of Miracle whip and hot sauce for only 80 calories. Much more filling than 10 small tortilla chips would have been.

Replies

• pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I do that a lot, I try to prelog things, or log thembefore I eat them that alows me to see if it is woprth it, great job on finding a different snack replacement
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You're smarter than me. I would eat the bowl of chips.
  • fabalas_seanne
    Options
    yes dont you feel so proud to put them back, i gave in yesterday at work & felt so guilt that i walked etc on spot for over 2 hours to burn them off :)
  • FloridaSunguy01
    FloridaSunguy01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yea, I have done that before. Salsa is good but once I start eating the chips I keep going. So I try portion control when I can.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy a bag of Fritos today to lay down as a base for my super healthy chili I made (frito pie is pretty much the best thing ever). I looked at the nutrition info, and put them back.

It was painful, but worth it.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I did it at the grocery store today. It had more to do with the sodium count on turkey cheddar brats. I just couldn't buy them and consume all of that sodium. Yaay us!!!
  • becca2006
    Options
    I do the same but not with calories, with net carbs. I eat 20 grams of net carbs a day, and I look at the nutritional value label on something, and think, I just can't "waste" my carb "bank" on that!
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I try to log items before I eat them. Lots of times I decide a food isn't worth it. Pre-logging helps me stay in my calorie goals for the day. Good for you for resisting temptation!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have almost no self control when it comes to chips. I just don't buy them anymore and avoid them when I go out.
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do that. And I've found a few alternatives that allow for more per serving so that I can know in advance that I'll get enough of a snack to keep me satisfied until my next meal. It's a great feeling when you can put back a snack because you realize its not the right choice.
    Congrats on your progress and good luck on the rest of your journey. :smile:
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hahahhah! You are so not alone in this! I totally view my cals as money!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Calories as currency is the main tip i give out to people who ask for help.

Dont cut anything out, just spend your calories. Is that trifle dessert worth the 450 calories? If so, go nuts and eat it! But that's 450 calories less you'll have for the rest of the day!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    ALL THE TIME !!!! i look at size vs. cals wondering if XXX cals is worth it:laugh:
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    To me losing weight is more mental than physical. You really have to be comitted to it. You can't "want" to lose weight, you have to be comitted to doing it. Measure everything and count every calorie. This is my third time at dieting. My first was when I went over 200 lbs for the first (and only I hope) time. Up to that point, I "wanted" to lose weight, but wasn't committed to it. Once I got my mind made up, I dropped 30 lbs by running, Lifting weights, and watching what I eat.

I slowly put the weight back on because I didn't really change my lifestyle. It is so easy to just eat and drink what you want.

This time I weighed myself every day and slowly watched myself gain 10 lbs back. But by weighing myself daily, I couldn't fake myself into believing I wasn't on my way to getting heavy again. Started dieting this time at 184 lbs. Not really shooting for a number, just to look better with my shirt off.

Lost 6 lbs in two weeks so far and waist is getting smaller. Makes you feel so good when you can control your urges to overeat.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I did that yesterday waiting in the checkout line next to all that yummy chocolate. I have been craving it but couldn't find anything less than 200 calories and I just didn't think it was worth it. I am doing that more and more the longer I am on here. I may give in for oreos tonight. I have 600 calories to burn and 6 oreos are only 240 calories!! I see cookies and milk in my future. I am under on sugars, carbs and fat! I love high protein days :)
  • mccgivens
    Options
    I was going to buy a bag of Fritos today to lay down as a base for my super healthy chili I made (frito pie is pretty much the best thing ever). I looked at the nutrition info, and put them back.

It was painful, but worth it.

Painful is right but needed sometimes. This made me laugh! :wink:
  • Hahahhah! You are so not alone in this! I totally view my cals as money!

I'm with you! Also, I view my food diary as my "checking account"....I don't want to get overdrawn!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I try to choose my food based on serving size vs calories. It doesn't always work, and has been a huge learning experience, but I do my best.
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Too funny! With Halloween around the corner and sweets under foot in the office, I portioned out one serving (20 pieces) of candy corn....BIG WEAKNESS and I made that 140 calories last over 3 hours.. yes, it was worth it! LOL
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I have almost no self control when it comes to chips. I just don't buy them anymore and avoid them when I go out.

I don't buy chips anymore either. Chips are my weakness and considering I have a highly addictive personality..it's just best for me to stay away.