Is the REALLY healthy? [Running question]

Options
Okay, I'm on my school's cross country team, and I'm not too impressed. I decided I'd ask YOU guys, some experienced runners, if what they're doing is too smart.

We run 2 miles at a meet, and, if we're lucky, at practice. Wouldn't it be a better idea to run MORE at practice so we'd do better at 2 miles? Nope.
PLUS, we run our WHOLE course on pavement. The whole thing! I don't think that's such a good idea, and my knees are suffering now.

What I'm wondering is; A.) Shouldn't we be running more than our race at least once a week? and B.) Shouldn't we lay off on the pavement?

Thank you! :P

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

That was my first thought too.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    2 miles is the distance for our PT test. We focus on running 2 maybe 3 miles. No need to run 8 miles to improve our 2 mile time

So do you think you should be running laps around a track?
    Options
    How old are you?

Wait im confused, why is this relevant? xD
  • sjtreely
    Options
    How old are you?

Because the bones of growing children required different running plans than those of adults.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    It says she's 41 on her profile. I guess it's Adult Ed. :huh:
  • sjtreely
    Options
    Actually, it's more than just the bones of youth that require more attention when developing a training program. There are many risks coaches need to be cautious of when working with those under 18.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    2 miles is the distance for our PT test. We focus on running 2 maybe 3 miles. No need to run 8 miles to improve our 2 mile time

Actually, most elite level runners run much farther than the race distance in training. Endurance is a huge factor in running. My current program calls for a long run of 17 miles to dramatically improve my 10K.

Back in H.S. XCountry, we ran 8 -10 miles just for a 3 mile race. We were coached by an Olympic level 10K running coach (33:00-34:00 10K), and our school stomped *kitten* in races, Yes, you should be running much farther than 2-3 miles in practice.
  • petitebelmont
    Options
    How old are you?

Because the bones of growing children required different running plans than those of adults.

But running on pavement all the time isn't good for anyone's knees or hips. Hence the high rates of bursitis and tendonitis among high school runners (which is the age I'm guessing the OP is at).
    Options
    How old are you?

Ahh ok :] Thanks! Was a bit confused :] hehe
    Options

Actually, most elite level runners run much farther than the race distance in training. Endurance is a huge factor in running. My current program calls for a long run of 17 miles to dramatically improve my 10K.

Back in H.S. XCountry, we ran 8 -10 miles just for a 3 mile race. We were coached by an Olympic level 10K running coach (33:00-34:00 10K), and our school stomped *kitten* in races, Yes, you should be running much farther than 2-3 miles in practice.

I should have mentioned Im not in XC hah. In the ROTC program we do not run long distances like that. Just sharing my experience.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    My guess is we're talking about a middle school student. I know of no high school cross country teams with such few miles per week. Our high school gets up to 60 miles during peak season.

I run on pavement all the time. Yes, if you're not careful and increase your distance too quickly it might cause issues. However, the proper running shoe will withstand the pavement. With that being said, even when I was training for my marathon I didn't run more than 40 miles or so a week.
  • equinehugger3
    equinehugger3 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 13, but I took over my Mom's old account. (With permission. :P)
  • sjtreely
    Options
    I'm 13, but I took over my Mom's old account. (With permission. :P)

Ahhh....yes. It's making more sense now.

Please know the purpose of middle school sports is to offer an experience of which sport you might want to pursue in high school while helping those who are looking for their niche during a very difficult phase in life. Many coaches at that level are hoping to spark an interest in a life long sport to help set a health life style - not win championships. Of course they want to win, but it's not at all the competitive level of high school.

Look into a good running shoe for training. Go to a running store and get fitted for the shoe that fits you and your gait. They will help you by having you run in their parking lot or on a treadmill to analyze your gait. That will help your knees. But yes, if you're 13 and your knees are hurting that's a red flag.
  • equinehugger3
    Options
    Thank you. :smile:

What I don't understand is how the coaches get super competitive when they don't even train us right... "You guys need to do better!" :grumble:
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

What I don't understand is how the coaches get super competitive when they don't even train us right... "You guys need to do better!" :grumble:

Because many of them aren't teachers, but poorly paid parents. My nephews CC coach is a horrible lady, and half the team quit by mid-season. She may be a great runner, but isn't a 'teacher'.

Plus, the school system may set limits on the amount of time and training she's allowed to offer. It may be a legal reason.
  • equinehugger3
    Options

Because many of them aren't teachers, but poorly paid parents. My nephews CC coach is a horrible lady, and half the team quit by mid-season. She may be a great runner, but isn't a 'teacher'.

Plus, the school system may set limits on the amount of time and training she's allowed to offer. It may be a legal reason.
    Sounds just like my coach.

I know our high school's team is great, so I'll definitely be joining their team. Just gotta tough it out...
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty bad.

I was never on the cross country team but I know ours ran a lot more than that and ALL of the running was done on grassy trails, not pavement.