Ankle Weights

Options
I've been reading that's its not safe to walk with ankle weights. I have some pretty lights ones, maybe about 1lb each or so. They're not extremely heavy but I can definitely feel a difference when walking with them. Does anybody see anything wrong with that or should I just skip out on them completely?

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that's its not safe to walk with ankle weights. I have some pretty lights ones, maybe about 1lb each or so. They're not extremely heavy but I can definitely feel a difference when walking with them. Does anybody see anything wrong with that or should I just skip out on them completely?

Don't walk on a frozen lake.

Otherwise, you should be fine.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hubby just bought me some ankle/wrist ones - 1.5lbs each. Oddly, they don't fit my ankles. LOL I really wanted to try them this morning.
    I don't see how they could be unsafe to walk with them....I would think running more than walking.
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    if they work for you and you feel safe with them on, then keep doing it.

other alternative if you are really worried is to carry them in your hands and get an upper body workout while you walk.

If you are really into it you can get a weighted vest. Some people as they loose weight just keep adding more to their vest. That way you keep your pre weight loss strength.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Don't walk on a frozen lake.

Otherwise, you should be fine.

thanks for the smile :wink:
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    O.k. I saw this and Just Had to reply, I wear 5 lb weights almost every day, I wear them to remind me what the extra weight felt like, {As in, I can take these weights off in Seconds}, Now on the other hand, I wouldn't try to run in them, and Your Body will Let you know if something is Harming it. So short of you having any problems that would stress your ankles, I Say Yes! Go for it! Hope that helps you