out of shape and new to running

Options
How should I start? eat fruit? stretch before or after? how much? then to running just starting out, how much distance should I start with? SOOOOOOOO many questions, but need to get started.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I stretch first, but I know people that don't. Two schools of thought there.

When I first started running, I just set small goals (sometimes just making it 50 feet to a street sign). Best advice I can give is don't push too much and set yourself up for over-use injuries.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    id suggest couch to 5k (c25k). its a 9 week program for beginner runners and seems to be very popular.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    id suggest couch to 5k (c25k). its a 9 week program for beginner runners and seems to be very popular.

I also recommend C25K. I have always been overweight and NEVER have been a runner. I'm only on week 5 of the program (although I'm going through it very slowly), but for the first time in my life I can run a mile straight, without stopping.

The program is from coolrunning.com, and they have a ton of articles and information that can help you. Also, you can find out more information about C25K and podcasts that will take you through the workouts from there.
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to start running, so that's basically what I did. I got on the treadmill, bumped it up to a comfortable jog (where I could still breathe easily enough to hold a conversation) and went until I felt I needed to stop, then I slowed to a walk for a couple minutes before running again. And I was pretty much starting from being a couch potato. Good running shoes are important, you want them to be light weight and comfortable. My favorite brand is Asics, and I also like Adidas running shoes. Also, when I was starting out I checked out www.active.com and it led me to a lot of good info about training for a race. I think it would be a good idea to find a race to enter so you have a goal to work toward. My first race I trained for was a 5K, I gave myself 6 weeks to train and I finished the race over 5 minutes faster than my goal time. And seriously, I am not a runner - I do not have a runner's body or their crazy addiction to running, but I liked having something to work toward and I love that I accomplished the goal. I pretty much think if I could get in good enough shape to run a 5K, anyone can. Good luck to you!
  • sarhneman
    Options
    I remember when I was out of shape (over 200 lbs) and new to running. I would start with trying to run a mile. You may not make it the whole mile the first time, but just try to go a little further each time. And while you're running just focus on running little increments at a time. For instance, just focus on getting to the next street light or tree or whatever type of landmark, and then when you get to that landmark, focus only on getting to the next one. Also, it is important to stretch before and after running. :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Google the Couch to 5k program. It works!!!! Get fit for the proper shoes for you and head out! Start slow, a brisk walk to warm up and never stretch cold muscles. Warming up makes for fewer injuries. I stretch really well after, but never before a run. If I feel tight a few minutes in I stop and stretch against a tree or something, but never while the muscles are cold.

I literally went from a couch potato to an athlete in a year. This program WORKS!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegs, strech before and after. walk first get your heart rate up and losen up. Run as far as your body can go. Do that for about a week, add on each week. Thats what i did. Get your form and breathing down once you have those two things under your belt you'll be able to add distance and speed. Run constantly. Dont take to many days off in a row when you first start. You'll have to get your body use to running.impack on your knees hips and ankles might be slightly painful but you will build up strength, have good running shoes that offer great support.

I started running just short distance down hill, after 2 months i run a few miles up and down hill, i didnt overly push it, make it enjoyable and something you want to do. good luck!!
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you can, i would start with the couch to 5k program. its 9 weeks long, and it will help you build up to running 3 miles. i did it, but i repeated a couple of weeks...i didn't finish but after a few weeks, i could definitely see a difference in my endurance! for stretching, i usually do it a little before, just to loosen up so i don't get hurt. stretching after is up to you. i have heard people say that as you start running or doing any sport, you will get a little less flexible, but when you stretch after you work out and your muscles are warm, you will increase your flexibility a ton. i have only run a little, but my dad is a marathoner, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me!
  • ADDdad
    ADDdad Posts: 9
    Options
    How do I find the couch to 5k program? awesome advice about starting out slow I would like to be able to run 5 miles by May! is that goal realistic for sombody that lives in pennsylvania and starting Right before it gets cold?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend some interval training. Basically, start with a long warm up (5-7 minutes to get your HR up), run as fast and as hard as you can for 15-60 seconds depending on your current fitness level, then walk 60-90 seconds at a moderate pace. Keep repeating until you can't do it anymore and then walk for a cooldown. If you are doing it right, you will be utterly exhausted by the time you are done.

This will help you build up your endurance and strength in your legs before you take up distance running.
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

When I first started running, I just set small goals (sometimes just making it 50 feet to a street sign). Best advice I can give is don't push too much and set yourself up for over-use injuries.

Exactly! And I always stretch before I run, but I do dynamic stretches before & save the static stretches (where you hold a pose for 20-30 seconds) for after I run. Here is a link to the dynamic routine I use. I think it really helps.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Programs like C25K are helpful!! I would suggest some moving stretches - static streches arent good for cold muscles.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking the initiative!

Couple of things I wish I'd known when I started:

Start slow. It doesn't have to be a full-on sprint to count as running. Save that for later.

I personally can't eat within 90 minutes before running. 120 min if it's a big meal.... if you aren't running more than an hour, you don't really need to worry a whole lot about pre-running nutrition (in my opinion). Regardless, how you "fuel your runs" is largely trial & error.

Eat some protein within 30 min or so after your runs-- it has something to do with your muscles or whatever-- but personally it keeps me from feeling like I'm famished later in the day. Choco milk or cottage cheese are two of my favs.

If you are well-hydrated BEFORE your run, you will feel much better while you are running. If you try to chug a bunch while you are running, it WILL slosh around in your stomach and make you feel icky.

Don't worry if you don't have any fancy gadgets or gear. It's not a pre-requisite to running. If you get started and think you'll stick with it, get yourself fitted for a pair of quality shoes. They really do make a difference but they're pricey.

Don't be afraid or ashamed to walk. When I first started, I could barely run for a minute without stopping. Now, I'm preparing for my second marathon! :)

Set small & reasonable goals. My first goal was 5 minutes without walking and I was as proud of that as I was when I could run 10 miles without stopping.

The Coolrunning and Runnersworld websites have some great beginners forums. Check them out.

MOST IMPORTANTLY-- Don't get discouraged! A friend once told me that the first 2 miles are the hardest. I still believe that to this day.

Best of luck to you!!
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    How do I find the couch to 5k program? awesome advice about starting out slow I would like to be able to run 5 miles by May! is that goal realistic for sombody that lives in pennsylvania and starting Right before it gets cold?
    i have the app on my phone, i also googled it and read up that way
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    Edit for double post
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would like to be able to run 5 miles by May! is that goal realistic for sombody that lives in pennsylvania and starting Right before it gets cold?

Yep. I live in Western MD so we probably have similar weather. They make some wonderful cold weather gear. I find as long as my ears are covered, I'm usually fine in running tights (basically spandex pants) to cover my legs and a light jacket-- even in January. Right now is the absolute perfect time to start bc the air is crisp but not cold enough to burn your lungs yet-- and the leaves make for such a nice backdrop! You can build up some endurance before it gets too awful cold and snowy! If possible, you may want to find an inside back-up plan for when the snow and ice comes (you don't want to center your full training on a treadmill-- if you do, add a 1% incline).
    And you can def run 5 miles by May! That's a great goal. You may even be able to find a 5 mile race in the Spring to sign up for-- that would be great motivation (active.com is a great resource for locating races). Even at a slow pace, you're only talking about an hour of steady running. It will def take time to build up to that, but you can totally do it if you work at it!
  • ADDdad
    Options
    Just got done first session of c25k. Is it normal to be spitting up saliva along the way? Nasty i know sorrry. and also to have a tight chest? just making sure, i"m not dying.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just got done first session of c25k. Is it normal to be spitting up saliva along the way? Nasty i know sorrry. and also to have a tight chest? just making sure, i"m not dying.

Slow down and take it easy at first. Ease yourself into it.
  • ADDdad
    Options

Slow down and take it easy at first. Ease yourself into it.
  • ADDdad
    Options
    WOW, congrats on meeting your goals, thanks for the advise, wanted to finish to prove to myself I wasn't a weenie.