How do you keep daily motivation for lots of weight loss?

We all know losing a lot of weight can be emotionally draining. What things do you do, or have you done, to keep your motivation going on a daily basis?

Replies

• docdevore
    docdevore Posts: 39 Member
    Don't focus on the long-term goal. Focus on the daily calorie and exercise goals.
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Motivation is what gets you started, consistency is what keeps you going. My "motivation" is simple...I never want to be a fat slob again. I love running, so it helps. It centers me mentally, and gives me the body I have.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    It seems like everything under the sun!!!

I blog, I join contests on here, I whine to friends, I look at old pictures, new pictures, I try on old clothes that are too big, too small, that I wore such and such time. I make up challenges for myself- drink x amount of water, eat x amount of vegetables, eat x amount of protein. I try new exercises, I sign up for new races, I try to better this time or that time or this number of reps or that.

And then this past week? Nothing worked. I lost all my motivation. So, I just chilled. I didn't try to stress out, nor did I let myself go too crazy for more than a day or two.

And once I relaxed, I remembered that more than anything, I'm doing this for ME.

And tomorrow, I will probably start the whole process of blog/whine/etc. all over again!

My biggest motivator and inspiration has truly come from the friendships I've built on here. Like you, I have a long way to go, but believe me, we can and we WILL get there!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i keep a picture of me at my heaviest so i see it every day. i also keep little post it notes around the house with words of encouragement. i set my desktop/wallpaper on my computer to a pic that says "You are Amazing. Start F***ing acting like it". really gets me going because im a great (horrible?) procrastinator and spend too much time on the computer >.>
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    So many other things in my life drain me emotionally... this is more of an outlet for my OCD.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    It doesn't have to be emotionally draining. If you decide "eating healthy foods and making my body fitter is just how I live my life", you don't have to worry about finding motivation on a daily basis. It's just how you live, and by living that kind of life you're reaping rewards on a daily basis, even if you can't immediately notice them. Get zen about it. ;)
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    I keep motivation by keeping up with MFP, seeing how well I'd do if I behaved that way every day, updating my weight loss blog, and exercising. I generally find that I feel better and am more successful in my other efforts if I exercise. Making myself go for a jog just seems to keep everything else in perspective.
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    I make myself remember how good I feel, and how awesome I feel after a workout! AND I keep a ton of super hot, super fit people on my list who motivate me visually & don't mind verbally kicling my butt! Lol

Edited because I'm typing on the elliptical! :D
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    If you look at my ticker, you'll see I'm doing well, but still have a LONG way to go. What has helped me a lot is having lots of mini-goals. Something short-term to work towards. I've given myself 'til Christmas 2012, 'cause I want to be healthy before the world ends. :wink: So when I started, I divided that big goal among the 1 yr & 9 months, and I created a big chart with my monthly goals. I've also stuck some non-scale goals in there: down to size 18 by this Christmas, healthy BMI by this time next year, etc. I have a new goal every couple of weeks, and having that feeling of accomplishment each time I reach one is VERY motivating!

Also, every time a coworker says "Hey, you're losing weight, aren't you?" or a pair of pants gets too loose to wear, I write those things down in a kind of "victory diary." Then when I'm tempted to cheat, I can read through those comments, or even just think about it and how thick it's getting, and suddenly my resolve returns. :smile:

People here are always very supportive, too!
    Good luck to you!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    I have an old picture of what I looked like at my highest weight. Just looking at that picture keeps me motivated to NOT go back to the way I was......
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    I think of how I'll feel if I don't try and push to get at least a little progess (staying in calorie goal/ working out).
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    :flowerforyou: Motivation is all around, but I think a good positive attitude and equally positive friends/support work wonders! I take my weight loss One day at a time. Some days are great and lead to great weeks with weight loss. Some days are not and I go over my calorie count. I don't beat myself up about it anymore. I'm human and I will make mistakes, I just don't make them as often as I used to.

There are MANY people here for support and motivation. I post Inspirational quotes daily to share with my friends list. But at the end of the day how I feel is what matters. Did I complete a daily goal? Have a reached my weekly goal? Will this effect my overall goal?

My advice is to find friends that will encourage and support! Add me and I will cheer you on every step of the way!

Thanks for sharing,
    SLB :flowerforyou:
  • newton2
    newton2 Posts: 21 Member
    Every day is a new start, I try to make the best choices . I have been faithful to this diet for going on6.5 weeks and I can tell a difference in some clothes and the way I feel! Each day is NEW and I try to make the best of it not just for me but for my family and friends! Get a good supportive friend and I pray for help each day .I need to lose over a 100. Good luck ! This site has really helped me .
  • MSHug
    MSHug Posts: 5
    I have a few tips that keep me from eating bad.
    "a moment on the lips is years on the hips"
    " Nothing tastes better than being healthy, or (insert disired size)"
    these keep me going when i crave junk food.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    I found an effective healthy eating plan, bought some new cookware and dishes to remind myself that this is a lifestyle change, and, probably most important, found and joined a challenge group on the MFP forum whose members have supported and encouraged with a variety of daily or weekly food and exercise challenges over the last 8 months. Being accountable to a group of like-minded people is really motivating.