Meatballs - NO EGG please help..

Options
Hi guys..

So I wanna make some EXTRA yummy HEALTHY meatballs..

But everyone is saying I can't cause I can't have egg :(

Replies

• jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    umm.. adding ground flax seed may help. sometimes it is used as a binger in vegan baking. Or there is something called Energy Egg Replacement (something like that) which I haven't tried. You may be able to sub that to help bind them... or just try it without!
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've never made meatballs with egg....just use your meats and seasonings, it'll be just as good..!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Use a little flour and water to bind or use egg substitute to bind
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of italian panko bread crumbs and a pack of Lipton Onion Soup mix - salt and pepper, and those bad boys are ready to roll out and sooo good!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've never made meatballs with egg....just use your meats and seasonings, it'll be just as good..!

Yep. You can add some bread crumbs or a little parmesan cheese if you want, but it's really not necessary. The meat should stick to itself pretty well, people started adding bread crumbs to meatballs and meatloaf during WWII (or maybe the Great Depression) to help make the meat go farther, and that's why you need the egg. The breadcrumbs make the mixture too dry, so the egg helps hold it together. If you do use breadcrumbs you can add a little milk instead of egg.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

Lol that was my plan I thought I might ask tho just to be sure :)
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

Yep. You can add some bread crumbs or a little parmesan cheese if you want, but it's really not necessary. The meat should stick to itself pretty well, people started adding bread crumbs to meatballs and meatloaf during WWII (or maybe the Great Depression) to help make the meat go farther, and that's why you need the egg. The breadcrumbs make the mixture too dry, so the egg helps hold it together. If you do use breadcrumbs you can add a little milk instead of egg.

I'm lactose intolerant.. would soy milk work?
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I use a little bit of italian panko bread crumbs and a pack of Lipton Onion Soup mix - salt and pepper, and those bad boys are ready to roll out and sooo good!

I'm in Australia.. I have never heard of Panko.. lol
  • paper_doll_
    Options

I'm in Australia.. I have never heard of Panko.. lol

Try Tandaco seasoning mix, or any other seasoned breadcrumbs, and Continental French Onion soup mix .. both available in Aus. Soy milk will also be fine instead of dairy.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No need to add egg or breadcrumbs , dont need them and there just extra calories anyways, put gloves on and put mince in bowl, add all seasoning and garlic ect, (parmesan is yummy). And work the mince with your hand until its realy brocken down , the mince becomes quite sticky after this process . Roll into little balls and refrigerate for half hour , that allows meat to set and relax again. And cook like normal.
  • Natural4Life
    Natural4Life Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here is how I make my meatballs... good luck!

Extra lean ground beef
    Garlic spice
    Oregano spice
    Salt & Pepper
    1 Onion finely diced
    1 Pepper finely diced
    .5 - 1 cup of Oats or bread crumbs
    1-2 tbsp of Ketchup

Mix all ingredients together... roll your balls and put in the oven on 350 until they are cooked to your liking.
    I like to make a low cal sauce to put over mine about 5-10 minutes before they are done.

Sauce
    .5 cup splenda brown sugar
    1 tbsp of soy sauce
    1 tbsp of vinager
    Tiny bit of water
    .5 of ketchup (taste and add more for your liking)
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    Here is how I make my meatballs... good luck!

Extra lean ground beef
    Garlic spice
    Oregano spice
    Salt & Pepper
    1 Onion finely diced
    1 Pepper finely diced
    .5 - 1 cup of Oats or bread crumbs
    1-2 tbsp of Ketchup

Mix all ingredients together... roll your balls and put in the oven on 350 until they are cooked to your liking.
    I like to make a low cal sauce to put over mine about 5-10 minutes before they are done.

Sauce
    .5 cup splenda brown sugar
    1 tbsp of soy sauce
    1 tbsp of vinager
    Tiny bit of water
    .5 of ketchup (taste and add more for your liking)

• Natural4Life
    Natural4Life Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My pleasure =))