Lunchbox Ideas?

Options
SaraSatin
SaraSatin Posts: 48 Member
We are going to be moving in less than 2 weeks and my daughters and I will all be at the JCC. I'll be working there and the girls will be going there. I need to pack lunches for myself and the 3 year old that contain no beef, chicken, pork or shellfish. I'd like to pack the same for both of us each day more or less. Like, maybe I have tuna with cucumber and she has tuna with chips since she's underweight. (not bad chips, just baked Pringles, she just doesn't need to be so careful like me)

Ideas would be appreciated. We will be eating our animal proteins (poultry, beef, etc) at night so I don't want to go too high on calories at the daycare but I want to be satisfied and have both of us eat healthy.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS - we need gluten free ideas but I can substitute a lot of things so sandwiches and pasta are possibilities.

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad with light mayo, eggs, and shredded cheese and crackers. Melted cheese tortilla with ranch or taco sauce. Bagel with cheese melted or not. Bagel with cream cheese, or peanut butter and jelly. I don't know which of these have gluten free alternatives. Soup in a thermos with goldfish crackers. Fruit snacks, applesauce, string cheese, fruit canned or fresh, pudding.
  • jenniferpayne5
    jenniferpayne5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We are big sandwich buffs around my house. PB and J, Tuna, Turkey (alot of turkey, not sure if that counts as chicken or not). Usually, I make them the night before all in a row so it makes the prep go faster. I also throw in yogert, pudding, blueberries, strawberries, mini bags of carrots (no one ever seems to eat those), sugar snap peas, crackers and cheese are always a big hit, smoked salmon (if it is fishing season). I will admit I pack chips because they always get eaten and I am the only overweight one in my family. If you get popcorn you can pop it the night before and it makes a good snack.

Oh yeah, you got me thinking about eggs the other day. Hard boil a dozen and you have a good prepackaged food. Kids love them because you can crack them on your head just like Ramona. :)

I also do a lot of overcooking (I don't like to do dishes and this seems to limit the meals I have to prepare) so there are leftovers to pack and use up the next day or two.

You should also throw in a few small peices of good chocolate or hard candy. It makes everyone happy and gives you a treat to look forward to so you don't go on the prowel for junk when the 11am/3pm munchies kick in.

Anyway this is just a sampling of what works for me.
  • SaraSatin
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about packing yogurt or string cheese for the kiddo. I don't like yogurt but I like cheese. The only meat we can have is fish but tuna is going to be at least once a week. I could also buy rice crackers and make my own little lunchables for her.

I'm more concerned about variety and entertainment for the kiddo. For me I have to worry about calories. That's a pain when I just want to make one lunch.
  • healthychoices5
    Options
    I love this website for lunchbox ideas.

Check it out, http://wendolonia.com/blog/2010/08/16/back-to-school-back-to-lunch-lunch-box-ideas/.
  • SaraSatin
    Options
    Thanks! I love blogs. :)
  • stripeycat_nz
    stripeycat_nz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite for cute lunchbox ideas:
    http://www.anotherlunch.com/

And this one for healthy kid-friendly recipes:
    http://weelicious.com/category/lunch-ideas/

We like avocado and cream cheese on corn thins/rice wafers for my gluten free girls. Marmite and cheese is popular too. You could do sushi or just ongiri - with salmon, or just vegetable fillings (we like carrot, cucumber and capsicum). Quesdillas, if you have gf tortillas that don't cost the earth (hard to find here in New Zealand) or just a grilled cheese sandwich eaten cold.

A boiled egg is good. Fruit salad with some yoghurt and maybe some muesli/granola to sprinkle on the top.

Mini muffins, gf pikelets or waffles made into sandwiches are a hit too. If you can have nuts then they are a great option for a bit of protein.

GF pasta salad, potato salad or rice salad, or a thermos filled with baked beans or vege soup.

Vege sticks with hummus to dip them in, or ranch or guac if you prefer.