Flaxseeds

Options
Did you know that if you dont grind up your flaxseeds and just eat them whole you dont get their proper nutrients into your system... so its not really worth bothering unless you grind them up first!

Replies

• kirakaydawn
    Options
    Did you know that if you dont grind up your flaxseeds and just eat them whole you dont get their proper nutrients into your system... so its not really worth bothering unless you grind them up first!

I keep reading about Flaxseeds and Hemp seeds..

I think I need to google this stuff..
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Google chai seeds while your at it!!
    You can eat chai seeds whole and get the full nutrients and benefits from incorporating them into your diet.

Literally no taste. (I have very finicky taste buds. The flax/hemp seeds taste too 'earthy')
    I have it in my oatmeal in the morning (2tbl)
    My greek yogurt as a snack (2tbl)

Thats all you need for the day!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Google chai seeds while your at it!!
    You can eat chai seeds whole and get the full nutrients and benefits from incorporating them into your diet.

Literally no taste. (I have very finicky taste buds. The flax/hemp seeds taste too 'earthy')
    I have it in my oatmeal in the morning (2tbl)
    My greek yogurt as a snack (2tbl)

Thats all you need for the day!
    I eat ground flax seed and chia seed in my smoothie every morning. So good for you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Your body cannot digest flaxseed whole until you grind them up first. Or make it simple and just buy Flaxseed oil and just mix a tablespoon in your foods (salads, pasta, rice, etc). Done deal.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you boil them, and chew them well, they do slip out of their casings. Our teeth are pretty good grinders if we use them.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What about flaxseed supplements?
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I have one of them I have never dieted questions..

WHY ARE WE EATING SEEDS??

:noway:

Anyone?
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I buy it pre-ground, and have some in my yoghurt...Yum!
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I buy it as Linseed (Flaxseed) meal and mix it into pretty much everything. I really rate it - skin glows, hair shines, no bloat. My mum swears it got her through the menopause in terms of hormonal balance.

Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but it works for me.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Anyone?

Flax seed is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, especially if you don't eat much fish. Research suggests that most of us get too much Omega-6 and not enough Omega-3 which can lead to inflammation like arthritis. I buy the pre-ground stuff and put it in my morning shake, love the nutty flavor.
  • allready_gone
    Options
    I buy it as Linseed (Flaxseed) meal and mix it into pretty much everything. I really rate it - skin glows, hair shines, no bloat. My mum swears it got her through the menopause in terms of hormonal balance.

Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but it works for me.

Ironically I cannot use flaxseed because it is a plant estrogen and when added to my birth control it causes heart palpitations. That's probably why your mum did so well with it in menopause!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Possibly effective for:

•Lowering hemoglobin A1c, a measure of average blood sugar level over three months, in people with type 2 diabetes. However, flaxseed doesn’t seem to lower fasting blood sugar, insulin levels, or blood fats in these people.

•Lowering cholesterol levels in people with high cholesterol. Various flaxseed preparations - including ground flaxseed, partially defatted flaxseed, and flaxseed bread and muffins - seem to significantly reduce total cholesterol and the “bad cholesterol,” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, in people with normal cholesterol levels and in men and pre-menopausal women with high cholesterol. But flaxseed doesn’t have much effect on “good cholesterol,” high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Most flaxseed preparations don’t affect triglyceride levels either, but unfortunately partially defatted flaxseed (flaxseed without as much alpha-linolenic acid content) can increase triglycerides by approximately 10%.

•Improving kidney function in people with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).

•Relieving mild menopausal symptoms. Taking flaxseed by mouth seems to improve mild menopausal symptoms. But dose is important. Taking 40 mg of flaxseed daily seems to reduce hot flashes and night sweats in women with mild symptoms, but a lower dose of 25 grams per day doesn’t seem to work.
    People use flaxseed for many conditions related to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, including ongoing constipation, colon damage due to overuse of laxatives, diarrhea, inflammation of the lining of the large intestine (diverticulitis), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or irritable colon, sores in the lining of the large intestine (ulcerative colitis), inflammation of the lining of the stomach (gastritis), and inflammation of the small intestine (enteritis).

Flaxseed is also used for disorders of the heart and blood vessels, including high cholesterol, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), high blood pressure (hypertension), and coronary artery disease.

Flaxseed is also used for acne, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), kidney problems in people with a disease called systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), symptoms of menopause, and breast pain. It is also used for diabetes, obesity and weight loss, HIV/AIDS, depression, bladder infections, malaria, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Other uses include treatment of sore throat, upper respiratory tract infections (URTI), and cough.

Some people use flaxseed to lower their risk of getting weak bones (osteoporosis) and to protect against breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer.

Flaxseed is sometimes applied to the skin for acne, burns, boils, eczema, psoriasis, and to soothe inflammation.
  • Candice83
    Candice83 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Anyone?

here read this
    http://www.flaxhealth.com/howflaxhelps.htm
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great! Learn something new everyday! I've been throwing it on my cereal EVERY morning...not ground! Oh well!!!! Guess I will either start grinding it up...or buy the oil!
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I take my flaxseed and chia seed with my shake.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

Anyone?

here read this
    http://www.flaxhealth.com/howflaxhelps.htm

Thanks