Baby weight won't come off

Options
So I had my baby boy 7 weeks ago and I need to lose 20lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I have been eating right and working out for a month now. I spin twice a week, zumba twice a week and started doing pilates every morning but I seem to have gained a pound. Not a major deal, but I expected to lose at least a little. What's going on? I feel so frustrated and discouraged, I am under my calorie intake and busting my hump but that number won't budge. Help?:sad:

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    7 weeks ago? That's nothing. Took me over a year.

Are your nursing? My body would NOT let go of the extra weight (well at any kind of reasonable rate) until I was done nursing. Additionally, you just started this new, pretty hard core workout routine. Our bodies tend to retain water when we "shock" it like that. Give it time. Don't stress too much. Make sure you are eating enough (you should be set a a pound a week, eating your exercise calories and come within a 100 or so calories of your goal).
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating your base calories everyday. You may be building muscle too and that weighs more. Just keep it up!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose until I stopped nursing. Increase you calorie intake. Not by much. just a little. And give it some time.
    Its been 15 months for me and I am still 10 lbs above my pre-preggo weight.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Gosh.....I was a decade....lol......and I agree about the breastfeeding. I didnt lose an ounce. In fact I gained a little. You body is readjusting still....keep plugging away. It will work! Congrats on baby!!!:)
  • lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 lbs over pre-pregnancy weight at 11 months pp because I have done absolutely nothing up until this point. My other 2 kids I was at 1200 cals at day and the weight came off in four months (with no exercise). Every pregnancy is a little different and you can't pinpoint how your body is going to react.

Are you breastfeeding? How many calories are you at?

These two factors can make a huge impact and need to be adjusted very carefully depending on what your doing. I promise it WILL come off.
  • Twain627
    Options
    I also added strength training which helped a lot!
  • ladyrhees
    Options
    18 yrs ago it took me 8 months to get back to my pre-baby weight and I was active, breastfeeding til he was 5 mos and eating a balanced diet. I do agree with the other posters that 7 weeks is a pretty short time to see results and your body is still adjusting to not being pregnant anymore. If you're nursing, your dr might recommend eating more calories to sustain milk production. Maybe check with your OB to see what you can expect and everyone is different. It took most of a year for me with conscious maintenance, a friend who was had her daughter close to the same time lost all her baby weight and more inside of 4 months without trying. Yes, I wanted to smack her, lol.

@ onelessS...just a small pet peeve of mine...muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound of fat weigh the same as a pound of muscle...a pound is a pound, muscle has less MASS than fat. It's like a pound of meat vs a pound of marshmallows. :bigsmile:
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    The saying is "Takes 9 months to get big and 9 months to lose it"...
    Your body is only 7 weeks post partum, give yourself a break!
    The weight will come off and your stomach will be firm again, it just takes time. Focus on eating right, exercise and try to get some sleep...the rest will come and you will be back to your old self soon enough.
    It is frustrating, I know I have 5 bio children and after each pregnancy couldn't wait to get back to normal...once the baby is born everything should go back to normal ASAP...unfortunately it doesn't work that way. :)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    @ onelessS...just a small pet peeve of mine...muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound of fat weigh the same as a pound of muscle...a pound is a pound, muscle has less MASS than fat. It's like a pound of meat vs a pound of marshmallows. :bigsmile:

People know this already. When they say muscle weight more than fat its a common understanding that they mean the same weight of muscle takes up less room than an equal amout of fat. Its just a 'saying'. Like 'Im starving'. You are not literally starving but the general understanding is that you are hungry. Sorry people explaining this is a pet peeve of mine.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I gained A LOT of weight during my pregnancy... (to the tune of say, 80 lbs) anyways... I lost 30 of it within the first 4 weeks or so and then despite dieting and exercising I could NOT lose a pound for over two months. Personally, I think it's because you drop a lot of weight initially and your body sort of plateaus until it figures out what's going on. My son was born in may and I am just now starting to see consistent losses, and that is with eating right (not cheating) and doing 30 day shred and treadmill most days of the week. Even now, I lose MAYBE a pound a week, but at least the scale is moving in the right direction. Pregnancy messes with our bodies and it takes awhile for everything to get back in sync. Hang in there, 7 weeks is nothing. You'll start dropping the weight before you know it.