A Day Off?

Options
Does it matter if you work out 7 days a week, or is taking that one day of rest a week really, really important? Is it just personal preference? Was just curious........

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I go 7 days a week for cardio however I only lift 5 days a week.
  • gunther0013
    gunther0013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is important that you take a day off to allow your muscles to repair.
  • chefswife67
    Options
    You need to take a day or two to let your body rest or you will burn youself out.
    I take one day off a week and I do just fine.. But it's really up to you and how you feel about taken days off..
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You need to take a day off to give your body a chance to rest and muscles to recover. I typically always take Sundays off to give my body a rest.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    After going a couple of weeks with no breaks a few months back I had to abandon a run, my first time having to do that...realized I went a couple of weeks without a break! So, the rest days are actually good for you.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    On the 7th day, God rested. The commandment HE demonstrated to us. Enough said ?

The gurus will come on here and tell you yes, 1 day per week rest. I agree. It is so hard not to. Feel free to do something fun with someone else that day, but nothing with the word 'work' (as in workout) in it.

Instead of a 'work'out, a casual stroll or bike ride or throwing a frisbee around in the park is great stress relief, still burns cals, but dont do it to break a sweat, just have FUN !
  • christybrooker
    Options
    You can give muscle groups the day off. Work upper body one day and lower body the next. You build muscle when you're resting after a work out. You tear it down when you're working out. It needs a chance to heal and build before it gets torn down again.
  • Chelij
    Chelij Posts: 49
    Options
    if you want to work out, then work out! Your body needs to repair itself but that just means you can't do hard core high intensity workouts every day. Plus you'd burn out. But if you have the energy and want to workout 7 days, I'd say go for it! just do something light like a walk or pilates/yoga, play tennis with a friend, etc.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    On the 7th day, God rested. The commandment HE demonstrated to us. Enough said ?

Don't see the relevance here, pretty sure God isny worrying about his waistline...
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Taking a rest day tends to provide better results and let's your body recover from all the hard work, however, if you don't want to rest, I don't see any harm in not doing.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Rest does a body and mind good
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sundays are normally my day off, but if for any reason I Missed a day, then Sunday becomes my makeup day...I got to have a day off, my body needs it!!!
  • momma_kathleen
    Options
    I think the rest is crucial, I didnt rest for two weeks and ended up with an injured knee that kept me from the full workout for the following week, so if I had just taken one day off, I wouldnt have needed the WEEK to recover!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing for excersize.

I take four, sometimes five days a week off.
  • ettawelk
    Options
    Great replies everyone!! Thanks for your input!! :smile:
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It all depends... if you are lifting or doing cardio..... YOu are supposed to do each muscle group once a week... so chest hard once a week, back hard once a week, triceps, biceps, legs, once a week.... so just split them up... but you can do abs every other day, you can do calves twice a week..... I would say you can do cardio 5 or 6 days a week... you could probably do 7.. but if for your cardio you are jogging.. you should give your knees a day off.... If you are lifting weights and doing cardio in the same day do weights and then cardio... helps you burn more fat that way,
  • garyolson43
    garyolson43 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree. There is no reason that you cannot do cardio 7 days per week. However, if you are lifting weights then you must take rest two to three times a week.
  • rockeraxXx
    Options

The gurus will come on here and tell you yes, 1 day per week rest. I agree. It is so hard not to. Feel free to do something fun with someone else that day, but nothing with the word 'work' (as in workout) in it.

Instead of a 'work'out, a casual stroll or bike ride or throwing a frisbee around in the park is great stress relief, still burns cals, but dont do it to break a sweat, just have FUN !
  • VixenGddss5
    Options
    I do strictly cardio 4 days a week, 2 of them light, maybe 1/2 an hour of slow walking around my neighborhood. I do weight training of some sort the other 3. I think of the 2 light cardio days as my off days, but for me if I miss a day and don't do anything that I would consider a workout, I slip and the next day I don't always remember to do something.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do everything 6 days a week and then take sundays off. I dont really watch what I eat too much (since I had issues even eating enough calories to begin with), but I make sureI dont go out of control - on sundays only. And I may or may not do something light but usually- I rest completely. I didnt know if I was going to make it through this week - but I got saturday done with and my body is already thanking me today from not working out!

I say take a day of rest, but its your body.