Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Faux carb recipes- mashed potatoes and spaghetti

I for one can live off a heaping pile of mashed potatoes and a warm plate of spaghetti but some healthy alternatives are out that you can enjoy that heaping pile without feeling guilty!

First up faux mashed potatoes. Instead of using potatoes we will use cauliflower. Don't scrunch up your nose until you've tried it! Boil or steam the cauliflower until it is soft and mash them up in a bowl like potatoes. Add your favorite fixings like fat free sour cream, easy on the butter, some chives, maybe some bacon bits if your feeling spunky and voilà mashed potatoes without the guilt. Only thirty five calories for a cup of cauliflower, imagine how many cups you can eat to equal the amount of a potato.

Now for spaghetti. Take one large spaghetti squash, slice it in half scoop out the guts and place in 1/4 inch of water in a glass bake pan rind facing up. Bake for roughly 45 min at 425 or throw in the microwave for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile take some lean ground turkey and fry in pan on med high until brown. Drain the meat in a strainer and wash off like you would drain noodles, it gets rid of any extra fat. Place back in pan add some seasoning if ya like, garlic powder chopped onion, basil, oregano. Add some low calorie low carb spaghetti sauce and heat till bubbly. Take out your spaghetti squash and use a fork to scrape out the insides. It will peel out like spaghetti. Add all ingredients together and there is your faux spaghetti without the guilt.

Replies

• recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    How is the taste and texture of the spaghetti squash compared to pasta?
  • Iric1783
    Iric1783 Posts: 26 Member
    Great ideas thanks for sharing :happy:
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    I love cauliflower mashed potatoes! Its easy to over eat them making your carb count rise. But they are great!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    thanx for sharing!!!
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    The same... my kids love it
    How is the taste and texture of the spaghetti squash compared to pasta?
  • It isn't as soft as a noodle but i felt there wasn't a huge difference,I actually liked it better than regular spaghetti. It's a must try :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Will be trying it again this week. Thanks for sharing the prep!
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Spaghetti squash is more crunchy. You can tell it is a vegetable- but with a good, hearty sauce its fantastic.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    I make my cauliflower with diced onion, coconut milk & curry powder. It's awesome!