No Carbs/Sugar

Options
Hi, I wanna give my metabolism a little boost by trying to cut carbs and sugars out for a few weeks. Can any advise what foods I can eat beacuse right now it looks like I can only have salads, vegetables and meats. Is it ok to eat fruits and if so what kinds should I eat b/c most fruits have sugar

Thank You

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that's how 'metabolism boosting' works...
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    From my simple understanding fruits have simple carbs? Supposedly those are suppose to be easy for your body to break down and not hinder your metabolism. Don't quote me on that I could be wrong.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Hi, I wanna give my metabolism a little boost by trying to cut carbs and sugars out for a few weeks.

Why do you think cutting out carbs will "boost your metabolizms". The belief is patently false.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you mean by no sugar. If you mean refined, white sugar, then you can have fruit. I'd recommend something a little lower in cals, like strawberries.

If you mean no sugar at all, then no, you can't have fruit. Fruit has natural fructose, a type of sugar.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that this boosts your metabolism...

But changing it up for your body may do you some good to kick off a plateau...

Low carb foods are Protein (eggs, peanuts, meat, cheese etc) and Veggies
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Hi, I wanna give my metabolism a little boost by trying to cut carbs and sugars out for a few weeks.

Why do you think cutting out carbs will "boost your metabolizms". The belief is patently false.

There is an issue of terminology here, boosting metabolism means different things to different people.

I doubt anyone is going to argue that reducing carbs and sugar not will help weight loss.

Wait, yes they will...
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    oops, double
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get off a plateau then yes low carb/sugar is likely to help. I did a semi-strict 30 day paleo challenge to get me off my plateau and found it rather effective. As far as fruit goes, just keep things in moderation.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    To the original poster.

Sadly will you simply be told over and over again you are on the wrong path, and others will tell you that you are on the right path.

I will just try to answer your question.

I eat filberts, cheese of all kinds, broiled kale chips, salads with real EVOO dressings, ceasar salads, tomatoes, rare fruits, any meat I want, when hungry I will usually just down a protein shake.

Remember, reducing carbs does not help unless you reduce them a fair amount, and up your fat and protein content in return. Adding fat, without significantly reducing carbs is a recipe for disaster, and pretty much every study that has ever shown a link to fat and gaining weight did so with subjects eating 40% of calories from carbs or greater. Studies and clinical trials, of which I can provide about 30 medically supervised ones, where carbs were reduced below that, have nothing but positive results when compared to the control groups.

Fruit, grain, etc... it won't matter. If you want to low carb it, go below 25% to start, and see how you do. Although fruits like an apple come with more fiber as part of their carb count, and fiber is sort of a free carb on reduced carbs, hence the term net carbs.

Anyway, the haters are coming now, watch out!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Larger engines use more fuel.

A more muscular person will have a greater BMR. So... if you want to increase metabolism, eat more and lift weights.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

There is an issue of terminology here, boosting metabolism means different things to different people.

I doubt anyone is going to argue that reducing carbs and sugar not will help weight loss.

Wait, yes they will...

Reducing CALORIES will result in weight loss, period.

Reducing carbs/sugars and replacing them with isocaloric amounts of other macros will not.
  • bbrwneyes
    bbrwneyes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    To the original poster.

Sadly will you simply be told over and over again you are on the wrong path, and others will tell you that you are on the right path.

I will just try to answer your question.

I eat filberts, cheese of all kinds, broiled kale chips, salads with real EVOO dressings, ceasar salads, tomatoes, rare fruits, any meat I want, when hungry I will usually just down a protein shake.

Remember, reducing carbs does not help unless you reduce them a fair amount, and up your fat and protein content in return. Adding fat, without significantly reducing carbs is a recipe for disaster, and pretty much every study that has ever shown a link to fat and gaining weight did so with subjects eating 40% of calories from carbs or greater. Studies and clinical trials, of which I can provide about 30 medically supervised ones, where carbs were reduced below that, have nothing but positive results when compared to the control groups.

Fruit, grain, etc... it won't matter. If you want to low carb it, go below 25% to start, and see how you do. Although fruits like an apple come with more fiber as part of their carb count, and fiber is sort of a free carb on reduced carbs, hence the term net carbs.

Anyway, the haters are coming now, watch out!

I agree with this 100%
    I eat just like this with the exception of fruit for now. (I am avoiding it).
    I am losing weight on this plan. They key is though, what the kaveman said...
    "Remember, reducing carbs does not help unless you reduce them a fair amount, and up your fat and protein content in return. Adding fat, without significantly reducing carbs is a recipe for disaster......"
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, especially those of the sugar variety.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Larger engines use more fuel.

A more muscular person will have a greater BMR. So... if you want to increase metabolism, eat more and lift weights.

I agree with this ... from what I have read the best way to increase metabolism is increase muscle mass.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Want to burn more calories throughout the day? Go workout.
  • Venessa165
    Venessa165 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kaveman is right. I did low carb for about 6 months and it works. However, you have to increase your protein and fats. If you want to know more you should research South Beach, Paleo and other diets. I strongly suggest you going to the doctor and getting a blood work up before you start. If you are looking to lose weight...low carbs is the "weigh" (pun intended) to go. It can be difficult to maintain for an extended period of time. I am actually preparing myself to go back on low carb. I don't think it will boost your metabolism and you will definitely get tired the first week you do it. See your doctor.