Running on Empty?

Options
I normally run in the mornings on an empty stomach. I don't hydrate or eat anything on my runs. I am currently up to 9 miles but seem to be stuck. I have read lots of posts on here about re-fueling after 3-4 miles, or one hourish. What do you guys do? And if you do hydrate/snack...when and how often?

Replies

• mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've heard of pickle juice for high intensity running but I used to just grab some of that pre-workout solution you mix with water, it really make me feel energized, Only problem is, it's sweet, so it can make you super hungry or feel a bit queasy
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually start running on an empty stomach, but if I'm going more than 6 miles, I fuel up after 4 or 5 miles and then again around mile 8 or 9 depending on the length of my run. My fuel of choice is Gu with caffeine. It tends to give me a boost of energy when I start dragging.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm an early morning empty stomach runner. Hydration is taken care of the night before I run.

Outside of crazy hot & sunny days, I generally don't eat or drink for anything for runs under 11-12 miles. After that, I'll bring a gel or some bloks along and eats as needed.

There are no hard and fast rules, just do what works for you.
  • StarletteS
    StarletteS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the Clif Strawberry Energy Shots every 5 miles. It will hydrate and give you energy. That are a ton of varieties to choose from. This is the only one I like. BTW: Great job getting up to 9 miles. That's awesome!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You have enough glycogen stores for 90 minutes, after that, you should be eating gels/bars on your runs. I like honey stinger or power bar gels for longer runs. Carry them with you, you'll know when you need them.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a little something before my run, long or short as well as drink at least 16 oz of water (and make sure I visit the bathroom!). If it is the morning it might be a small banana and/or a small protein bar about 30 minutes to an hour before I run. For my longer runs I will carry a bottle with me that has a hand grip with it to hold my cell phone and carry a pack of Jelly Belly Energy Beans with me, eating 3 ever thirty minutes or so. So far I'm up to 12.4 on my longest run and this seems to be working.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree with the others by going with what works for you. I usually hydrate well a couple days out and look to eat a little something if I am going to be out on the road longer than a couple of hours but I consider myself a fast jogger so 10 miles or longer takes me some good time. If you’re in training or just running to run you can experiment but I would not recommend making the changes in a race unless you have tried it out on the course.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good day,
    I try to drink a glass of water before I leave on my run.
    If my run is longer than 45 minutes I bring a water bottle and also use NUUN sal tabets every 45 mintes I am out there.
    You are depriving your body of fuel if you run without a little light food in the form of carbohydrates like a Energy bar.
    Good luck and add me as a friend if you would like to dialogue more.
    Saka
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I prehydrate and drink a small bottle of gatorade before a long run. My pre run breakfast is usually a banana, vector energy cereal and some milk.

I then like to hydrate every 20 minutes and maybe some gu chomps or sport beans every 1/2 hour or so to keep the energy up.

Most people can only store about 75 minutes of glycogen in their system. Once this is used up, you're effectively running on empty (especially when you've started the run on an empty stomach .... um hmmmm. :) )

You can slow down your glycogen depletion by taking food/gatorade etc during your runs.

Good Luck!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow, excellent responses and some great suggestions to try! Thanks so much for sharing your personal how-to's. I want to run a half marathon soon, so I am convinced this is going to help spur me foward!

My challenge is now going to be how/where to carry stuff. I am thinking those GU chomps seem like a great idea, so maybe I will have to get pants with pockets. I absolutely hate to have something in my hand, which is why I don't run with music or water:(
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I hate carrying anything on a run, so I tend to go without even on 2 hour runs. More than that and i'll pre stash some water at points along a regular route.

That being said, while I used to run on empty, I don't any more. l I found that I could eat and drink something light before running without causing an upset stomach, then it was only a matter of re training my brain to accept early morning fuel. At first I just did not feel like eating anything that early, but after a while you get used to it and early morning pre run food can even become enjoyable. plus it makes recovery much easier for me so it's very worthwhile.

Now I generally have a home made energy bar and hot green tea then i'm away 5 mins after finishing.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I have a hard time eating before a run so this morning I did a 6 mile loop, stopped by the front porch for water for me and the dog, then I grabbed a few Jelly Beans and was off for my final 3 miles. I'm intrigued by the Jelly Belly fuel ones. I also want to try on some running/fuel/water belts. But then I have to think about water for the dog as well. So, just starting to experiment with fueling :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Wow, excellent responses and some great suggestions to try! Thanks so much for sharing your personal how-to's. I want to run a half marathon soon, so I am convinced this is going to help spur me foward!

My challenge is now going to be how/where to carry stuff. I am thinking those GU chomps seem like a great idea, so maybe I will have to get pants with pockets. I absolutely hate to have something in my hand, which is why I don't run with music or water:(

May sound corny, but I've found that a $7 fanny pack from Walmart can carry pretty much everything you need. I find it doesn't hinder my run in any way.

For really long runs, I have a Camelbak (holds 2 litres of water) that has something similar to combat webbing on the front. Very easy to attach accessories\pouches without interfering much with my mobility.

Good Luck!