Need help planning my success

Options
Hey everyone! So I've been here since June and I've lost close to 30 pounds. At first, I averaged 2-3lbs a week but have slowed to 1lb a week, if not a meager fraction. I wanted to get to my goal weight before Christmas. That means going about another 17 pounds in 10 weeks.

I'm currently shooting for 1200 calories a day (which I usually am pretty good at doing). I am shooting for somewhere in the 55g of protein a day. I try to log 30 min of *some* cardio a day, but am kinda limited in my exercise options. (We're pretty poor, so we don't have a gym or the money to buy a lot for an at-home regimen. I have Exerbeat for Wii and 30DS but tend to bore easily. I also have to fit a work out in between terrible two tantrums, so taking the kiddo with me isn't always an option!) I usually end up logging walking, yoga, pilates....

I guess I'm wondering, at this point is it realistic to go from 147 to 130 (17 pounds) in 10 weeks? I want to amp up my work-out to really wow all my family at Christmas. If 17 pounds in 10 weeks isn't realistic, what is? And what's the best way to maximize my efforts to make the biggest change I can?

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Its possible, but I'm not sure that it may be all that healthy. I have to workout before the kids get up. Otherwise I have a morning like today where the baby wanted to be held, so I continued my workout holding him, but just did the lower half (If that makes any sense lol). Are you able to go for a jog with the kiddo in a stroller? Use everything as a workout. If you are cleaning step it up and double time it. If you are playing with your 2 year old that is exercise to! :)
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If your weight was a high number then losing 17 lbs in 10 weeks would definitely be possible. You should just be happy with how far you've come. Keep up with what your doing and just be with the results you get by Christmas. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    That would be a loss of 12% of your body weight in those 10 weeks. Honestly, that seems high. I would aim for 10 pounds and try to lose a pound a week. Even if you meet your ultimate goal a little later than you had planned, all is not lost!
  • Iratherbefit1
    Iratherbefit1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing the exact same thing since you first started your lifestyle change? If so, your body is accustomed; change it up by adding more exercise.

You can find tons of free workouts on womenshealthmag.com and http://fitbie.msn.com/ also has awesome tools; if you have an ipod touch, there are tons of amazing apps (i love the Nike Training Club). You can also do INTERVAL WORKOUTS around your block; whether it's power walking or running or both.

Usually, trainers also suggest lowering calorie intake, but your calorie intake is already as low as is safely recommended. 17 pounds is definitely possible, but that's almost two pounds a week or 7000 calories less for the week (wether it's in food or exercise). See how that works for a week and then see if it's feasible for you.

last thing, make sure you are providing enough nutrients and calories to your body.

hope I helped ; good luck :)
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time for someone who is that close to goal weight.

You are doing great! The unfortunate reality is that a lb a week is a pretty healthy rate of loss that will stay off and be healthy.

I am always curious about protein intake. I saw your goal and wondered why you chose it? Thanks!

I hope your day is great!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    That would be a loss of 12% of your body weight in those 10 weeks. Honestly, that seems high. I would aim for 10 pounds and try to lose a pound a week. Even if you meet your ultimate goal a little later than you had planned, all is not lost!

^^This.
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    there are awesome workouts on the net that you can do:) i record an excercise vid every morning that is un by podfitness.com, they are different every day which is great for me cos like you i get bored xx
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Walking the fast you can make with the pram seems to help me a lot! Unfortunately in England weather is not always nice to do so, but then I'll have to do the work-outs at home. Also bear in mind that the more exercise you do, the heavier you'll be, so you might fit in your goal clothes, just that your weight might not be 12lbs less as you think. If I can't walk I take a challenge of cleaning the whole house in about 2 hours, running up and down the stairs when I forget things, sweep, mop, cleaning tiles, all that I count it as vigorous exercise, because it really makes me sweat... and yeah, another reason why I have to do it that fast is because the longest my baby naps for is 2 hours and a bit!:D. Cleaning is a great exercise!:D
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I've been here since June and I've lost close to 30 pounds. At first, I averaged 2-3lbs a week but have slowed to 1lb a week, if not a meager fraction. I wanted to get to my goal weight before Christmas. That means going about another 17 pounds in 10 weeks.

I'm currently shooting for 1200 calories a day (which I usually am pretty good at doing). I am shooting for somewhere in the 55g of protein a day. I try to log 30 min of *some* cardio a day, but am kinda limited in my exercise options. (We're pretty poor, so we don't have a gym or the money to buy a lot for an at-home regimen. I have Exerbeat for Wii and 30DS but tend to bore easily. I also have to fit a work out in between terrible two tantrums, so taking the kiddo with me isn't always an option!) I usually end up logging walking, yoga, pilates....

Well, you made previous plans, right ...AND THEN YOUR BODY made Plans! GUESS who is the BEST Planner? Your Body. I keep saying, the "science" of wt loss/nutrition/exercise can say all it wants, and the "Formulas" are great; you can eat and exercise according to "a plan" and the results are SUPPOSED to be what the "Formula" says. GUESS what, the RESULTS are NOT on any blue-print or "formula." So make a good healthy eating plan and moderate exercise routine, set any goal you want to, but keep in mind that the goal is a GUESS/HOPE/WISH because YOUR BODY is going to lose at its OWN pace. Just eat Healthy, Live Healthy and be happy.

I guess I'm wondering, at this point is it realistic to go from 147 to 130 (17 pounds) in 10 weeks? I want to amp up my work-out to really wow all my family at Christmas. If 17 pounds in 10 weeks isn't realistic, what is? And what's the best way to maximize my efforts to make the biggest change I can?
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am always curious about protein intake. I saw your goal and wondered why you chose it?

I was told (by several sources) to base my protein intake on my body composition. When I calculated it out, that's about what I should have a day.
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    I'm reading a book about triathlon training that had some interesting things to say:

1) You know the rules, -500 calories a day will yield 1 lb of fat loss a week. HOWEVER, the old belief that "a calorie is a calorie" isn't necessarily true--turns out, you'll lose more weight via calorie reduction than with 500 calories output through exercise. That said, you still need to eat at least 1,000-1,200 calories a day just to avoid starvation (counterproductive). So, a suggestion would be limit your TRUE intake to between 1,00-1,200 calories a day, then add exercise so you're netting even less.

2) Again, you probably know the importance of muscle mass with weightloss--the more muscle you have, the "heavier" you are, but the more calories you burn after a workout (and for longer after) and at rest. Although there's been no research on calorie reduction and muscle loss in athletes, there has been a study done on sedentary women. Two groups were limited to 10% fat in their diets, however one half had a high protein, low carb diet and the other on a proportionately higher carb, lower protein diet. Both groups lost the same amount of weight on average, but the one's who had higher protein were able to retain more muscle mass (aka lost more body fat and looked more toned).

So I think it's critical to focus on strength training as well as your cardio, but you can do body weight strength exercises like push ups, pull ups, squats, sit ups, strength-based yoga (warrior series is my fav) all for free at home and in conjunction with your existing cardio and you'll see a more noticable transformation by Christmas. Whether or not you lose the 17 lbs on the scale, you'll sure as hell look like you did.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Most definitely possible, but you will have to be pretty strict on your calorie consumption. Logging everything that you consume, along with the cardio exercises you do. Remember the lighter you are in weight, the less your body expends in burning calories. That's where it can get challenging, and that's when people hit a wall/plateau. And breaking through it is a matter of adjusting calorie intake and macro-nutrients. 10 weeks, you can surely do. Stay motivated and confident. Stay on track with your diet and cardio. And you should see your desired results, good luck!