Veggies

Options
Sorry, I am sure this has been asked a million times...but do you all count your veggies as calories? I don't mean potatoes or anything high in starch, I just mean broccoli, carrots, tomatoes ect. I eat these for snack, but it sometimes bugs me that they add up to 40+ calories. I guess I am just venting b/c I wish they were just free calories, and I didn't have to add them.

Does everyone else add them?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it.

If you ate 3,000 calories of broccoli every day, it would make you as fat as 3,000 calories worth of apple pie. Calorie is a calorie.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it.

If you ate 3,000 calories of broccoli every day, it would make you as fat as 3,000 calories worth of apple pie. Calorie is a calorie.

Well said! :D
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Maybe add them as quick cals if you know how much the veggies come to, instead of logging them each?
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    Yup.

A crispbread is 16 calories.

A carrot is more that that.

A calorie is a calorie.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Everything that goes in your mouth have to log it. I especially log my veggies and fruits.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, I do not log all veggies - just most of them. Green peppers, cauliflower, broccoil, celery, and onions do not get logged. Never have, never will but that is just me :)
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    check out my food diary.. i count everything :wink:
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    onions are really high in calories, as are some other veggies. also good for protein..
    If you don't log everything then logging won't work really will it! lol Each to their own though :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I log it all, a calorie is a calorie. I don't understand why people don't realize that all calories are equal! Maybe not the other nutrients that make up those calories (fat, fiber, protein, etc). But when it comes down to it 100 calories of cookies and 100 calories of broccoli are still each 100 calories.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it.

I log everything, fruits, veggies etc. To me, not logging it, is cheating and lying to myself since I won't get a true calorie count for my food
  • mushalek
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it.

\\

thats true to a point, besides broccoli is way more nutrient dense than apple pie, so in reality apple pie would make you gain more weight, but if your just going off of calories, not nutritional values then yes

* oh but you answer your thread, yes i log all veggies because i am consuming them, and i like to look at my full nutritional review to see if i'm getting my vitamins and minerals in which are mainly in veggies :)
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As a vegan I kinda have to or I wouldn't be logging much at all!! In all seriousness though, I just ate a roast, and while my potatoes came in at a whopping 840cals (good job I did a lot of exercise today!!) my veggies came in at 75cals. I know some weight loss plans say veggies are "free foods" and you can eat as much as you like guilt free, they do have calories. Also, I feel that if I didn't log one thing, I might be tempted to not log something more calorific....
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am sure this has been asked a million times...but do you all count your veggies as calories? I don't mean potatoes or anything high in starch, I just mean broccoli, carrots, tomatoes ect. I eat these for snack, but it sometimes bugs me that they add up to 40+ calories. I guess I am just venting b/c I wish they were just free calories, and I didn't have to add them.

Does everyone else add them?

Absolutely, all foods even ones with negligible caloric value. You should still be tracking/counting. Even though veggies, leafy greens, etc. Are low in calories. But they add up depending on how much or how many servings your having of it. If veggies were calorie free, we'd have agricultural problems cause everyone would stock up on it and eat it all. Lol
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The OP asked ...
    ...do you all count your veggies as calories? I just mean broccoli, carrots, tomatoes ect. I eat these for snack, but it sometimes bugs me that they add up to 40+ calories. I wish they were just free calories, and I didn't have to add them.
    the first response was
    If I eat it, I log it.

For me, the whole point of keeping a food diary is to give me a clear insight into what I'm eating. For the first week or so, I realised just how much I was eating, even though everything was regarded as wholesome and nutrient-rich.

if you are on a calorie-controlled food and nutrition program you need to be aware of how the supposedly throw-away items add up. There are overweight vegetarians on this list and it's not just from eating too many cakes!

Fruit & veg contain calories and they do count.

But if you don't add your veggies to the food diary... do you add the added ingredients used to prepare them (oils, dressings, etc)?

Just food for thought! :happy:
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    check out my food diary.. i count everything :wink:

LOL you werent kidding.:drinker: