Sedentary

Options
I have been set at sedentary, but maybe I'm lightly?
What do YOU consider sedentary?

Replies

• boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sedentary behavior refers to activities that do not increase energy expenditure
    substantially above the resting level and includes activities
    such as sleeping, sitting, lying down, and watching television,
    and other forms of screen-based entertainment.

Light physical activity, which often is
    grouped with sedentary behavior but is in fact a distinct
    activity construct, includes activities such as slow walking,
    sitting and writing, cooking food, and washing dishes.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    what I'm doing now at work, LOL
  • arispawild
    Options

Well I am a student, so I walk to all of my classes, walk to dining hall, and other necessary places, but I also sit a lot studying and such.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

hm....I've not heard it described this way before. From what I understood someone at a desk job is considered sedentary, since the activity is so low level.

I have myself checked off as sedentary and I'm not sleeping, lying down or watching TV during work hours.

Perhaps I misunderstood you?:flowerforyou: Then again perhaps we're both saying the same thing in slightly different ways?:happy:
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you are not sweating or breathing hard, then the activity is pretty much sedentary. When I was 19 and 20 I did roofing, carrying bundles of shingles up a 40 foot ladder to the roof- that was not sedentary....
  • spottedlee
    Options
    If you are not sweating or breathing hard, then the activity is pretty much sedentary. When I was 19 and 20 I did roofing, carrying bundles of shingles up a 40 foot ladder to the roof- that was not sedentary....
    good way of putting it,,,, Thank you
  • chchchangess
    Options
    so I was set at lightly active and didn't track any of my walking (I probably spent about 20 - 40 minutes a day walking fairly briskly depending on classes and work), but if I changed it to sedentary should I track it now?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Most of my day is spent at this desk, waiting to react to calls of distress.

However I'm out 6 nights a week, burning 700-1000 cals each night. I put myself as sedentary, and log my exercise cals.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I put myself as lightly active.. and I'm sorry to say I disagree with the if your not breathing hard or sweating that it's sedentary.

I work with special education/behavioral disordered high schoolers all day.. I'm on my feet 24/7, taking them for walks, to run errands at the store, walking around helping them at work, helping them with lunch.. you name it, I pretty much do it. The only time I sit is if I'm on lunch or if my kids are doing an independent activity that is not all the teachers aids are required to help out with. So to me, I consider that lightly active.. and I log my exercise calories and eat most to all of those.

So to answer your question OP, if you spend a lot of time on your feet, I'd consider it lightly active.. if you spend a lot of time at a desk doing computer work, then I'd consider it sedentary.