Yoga?

Options
I am in physical therapy and have not worked out since July. My therapist thinks I am close to being able to do yoga. I have never done a class because I never thought it was a good workout. Does anyone have feedback for me good or bad? I am almost at my goal weight and am excited to be healed to be able to tone. Can yoga help tone?
Thank you to everyone in advance for your time and help!:happy:

Replies

• Mitch7749
    Mitch7749 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't do yoga persay, but I did fusion which is a mix of yoga and pilates. I did this when I was withdrawling from heroin mind you, and it really helped me get in the right frame of mind for running and helped me feel good about myself. So Yoga itself I don't think will necessarily tone you, but it makes you more flexible and in my experience motivated to keep active and eat healthy. Then again, I really haven't given yoga that much of a shot itself so maybe it could tone you?
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You will be amazed at the muscles you will use in yoga. There are different types and some give a better workout than others. Look around and give it a try. You might just like it!!
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I love yoga! You will be surprised how sore and hard it really is. You really have to focus on your form and doing the poses correctly. It is great for strengthening!
  • Olson87
    Olson87 Posts: 19
    Options
    I took a couple yoga classes & loved it!! I don't have a lot of time anymore to go to a class, so I usually do it in the morning before I go to work. I did a hot yoga class, and thought I was going to die... I did NOT like that... but regular yoga was great, and I felt amazing after!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have only taken a few classes but there are many different types of Yoga some of them give an amazing workout. They are all good for you though.
  • Alice230
    Options
    I took a few classes because I have horrible anxiety. I left feeling extremely peaceful. There are studies that suggest that people who do yoga weigh less and make better eating decisions. I was not there long enough to know if it would help with weight loss. I do plan to go back at least once a week when I can get the money together.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am an endurance runner (and yet have to shed some lbs). My organization offers yoga and I took advantage of it a year ago I have been doing yoga - primarily for stretching for the last year and it has made me more flexible, and slightly faster. I think once the flexibility improves I can work on the breathing and that will ultimately lead me to more benefit from yoga.

I will highly recommend it - give it a try - but don't stop within a few months - give it six months. I would suggest you take a class where the instructor have an opportunity to show you the correct poses, because alignment is a key factor in being good at yoga.
  • smd819882
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your feed back. I really appreciate it and am going to look up classes at my local gym. Once I get the green light from therapy I am in.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It will definitely help you tone. You use plenty of muscles while doing yoga. I've never done much yoga before because I get bored after about 15 minutes but I've started doing Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels and love it since it's faster paced.
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had never done (or thought much about) yoga until someone told me that cycling reduces flexibility and someone suggested yoga. I have never been to a class, but comcast's on demand service has some free videos. I have only done it a couple of times. While it is not aerobic, I was surprised how much I could feel my body temp increasing.