GIRLS ONLY.

Options
okay so "aunt flow" is in town. should i ease
up on exercising during menstruation or not?
how much should i gain in the process? plz
help..

Replies

• SuperV83
    Options
    If you feel up to it, there's no reason to stop your fitness routine. I go for my jogs and do my strength training on my period just fine.
    I find myself a little sluggish to start, but other than that there's no issue.

During your period it's not uncommon to gain a couple of pounds, but once it's done you should go back to your normal weight.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I still workout during mine. My weight usually goes up 3 to 5 pounds but goes down afterwards.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Nope! I work out even harder during that time. I drink tons more water! I do the opposite on what "people/research say TOM does to a person". I have a mindset where I don't think about cramps, bloating, binge eating, drinking leas water, can't workout, etc. I completely just workout, drink lots of water, and eat normal, and maintain a positive attitude! Workout! If you feel you can't then don't do much, just take a walk, do some sit-ups. :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Mine should be showing up tomorrow, so I am prepared....I do light exercise during the 1st two days or so, including weight training and walking and then try to ease back into my workout on day 3 and onwards....but it all depends on how much pain and discomfort you are in...listen to your body...if you are up to it, then workout, and if not, then take it easy.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If I'm not in too much pain or uncomfortable, I keep up my workout routine. And I think that everyone is a bit different in the weight department - I tend to lose in the first day or two, but then put on 2-4 pounds, but then afterwards (provided I'm drinking enough water), I lose it again. I think it's because I tend to eat saltier stuff when AF is here. :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    No physiological reason why you shouldn't. Just might feel a bit more icky and sweaty so make sure you can get to a shower ASAP after!!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I work out harder then. Makes me feel a lot better.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes don't stop exercising! It's good for your body no matter if you're in this special week of the month or not!
  • DBiggs23
    Options
    I feel better when I work out during, it eases the pain of cramps, etc...
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i still workout during....it actually helps ease the very bad cramps i get. i do have to give myself an extra puch to go....usually alot more sluggish then.
  • broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change unless it's to uncomfy for you in some way. I actually don't gain during mine. I started yesterday and for my weigh in today, I had lost 2 pounds which has been about my average the whole time. I have been on my journey for 11 weeks now and haven't gained during my TOM at all. I think people might because they do slow down on their exercises and maybe use it as an excuse to eat more junk foods? Just my 2 cents on the topic! :o) Good luck!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I work out during, it eases the pain of cramps, etc...

same here! it makes me feel better! Just drink loads of water, in case you suffer from bloating too =)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work right on through it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it, there's no reason to stop your fitness routine. I go for my jogs and do my strength training on my period just fine.
    I find myself a little sluggish to start, but other than that there's no issue.

During your period it's not uncommon to gain a couple of pounds, but once it's done you should go back to your normal weight.

This, if you feel ok go for it.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The first day for me is the worst. All my joints swell and ache horribly.

During that time I just stretch and do some Yoga.

But after that first day it's back to my usual routine. :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Depends. You should always do some sort of workout since it will help with cramps. If you're feeling really horrible just do a light workout but if you're feeling fine then go as hard as usual.

And you may not gain at all. Most people just get bloated and gain water weight (some people gain up to 5 pounds) but then they lose that weight once they're done.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Working out while i have cramps is the best thing ive learned. It takes lots of will power to get my going but then cramps are gone and i feel wonderful, til im done and cramps come back, to bad i cant just workout the whole time i have my period lol
  • ascott048
    Options
    Don't stop unless you have to. I actually read an article on WW that you metabolize more during that TOM. Not sure if it is true but I always have worked out in the past and lost a good amount during that time at least 2 lbs. Of course, this includes continuing to eat the same healthy foods as before. I lost 50 lbs on WW before joining MFP.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    No need to stop unless you're in a lot of pain! I sometimes have really debilitating cramps where I can't even stand up straight, let alone exercise-otherwise, get moving! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    how do people deal with cravings. I turn into a chocolate monster and self sabotage myself really weasity at this time.
    exercises not normally a problem but sugar /chocolate gets munched before brain has engaged. or i talk myself into it and stuff myself then feel guilty / sick after.

any tips?