How often should you exercise?

Options
Should you have at least one day off a week or should you exercise every day of the week?

Replies

• dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    One or two days off per week. You don't wanna exhaust yourself or burn out. It also depends on how long you work out per day and what kind of exercises you do.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I've put my goal as 5 days a week, but I aim to do it every day. People do tell me though to at least have one day off.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 days a week. However, even on my "off days" I still get some type of physical activites. It might be a few jumping jacks, dips, or running in place for 10-15 minutes or so.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 days a week. However, even on my "off days" I still get some type of physical activites. It might be a few jumping jacks, dips, or running in place for 10-15 minutes or so.

Same here. I take days "off" (approx once per week in my case) but I still try to get in a vigorous walk on my off days.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I do something like 9 days exercise, 1 day off, so not quite per week... but more often than not I listen to my body... injuries or illness - I'll try and work around them but some days if you're umming and ahhing that much and finding very little motivation to go when normally you're sat in your gym kit before you know it, then it's probably time to take a day off. If you're only doing light to moderate exercise then you could do it every day.... if you're doing mostly hard/vigorous exercise then when you take a day off, try to squeeze in a little light/moderate exercise like 30-60 mins fast walking...as a baseline guide!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Should you have at least one day off a week or should you exercise every day of the week?
    You should do what YOU want to do, as long as it's not detrimental to your well-being.

If you are doing an intensive workouts for 60+ mins every day, then I think your body will soon be screaming for a break.

On the other hand, I try and do some low-impact cardio every day (walking, cycling and hopefully more swimming) although some day's I don't get the chance.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Day off! A whole day once a week is a must. You are just going to hurt yourself otherwise. If you can't take a day off completely, take a relaxing walk that day, or take an off day when you are going to be otherwise busy so you are burning some calories. If you can handle two down days even better. The people i know who are in the best shape spend the least amount of time working out, why? When they do work out they work hard (HITT, heavy lifting ect.) and treat themselves right on their off time ( light exercise lots of protien and lots of rest!) You can't become fit if you just keep hammering away at yourself. You can cause damage, especially if you keep doing weights every day. That being said, I take one whole day off a week. Do light cardio one day, and weights twice a week, the rest of the time HITT. I'm just starting back at it, but thats what I've always done.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how hard you're working out.

If it's a lighter workout (just jogging) I would do it every day (I used to go jogging every single night and sometimes other workouts during the day) but if it included weights and such then I usually only do 5-6 days and have at least one day off. Or if I don't take days off then I would take one day to do a lighter workout to get some rest.

It all depends on the person and type of exercise. Exercise as much as you want as long as you're eating enough to sustain yourself and you're not wearing yourself out.
  • emtess123
    Options
    It depends what you mean by exercise, if its quite intense cardio like running, swimming etc then id say about 4/5 times a week, if its just walking or something then theres no harm in everyday! I tend to run 3/4 times a week for an hour or so then on my 'days off' ill still take the dog out etc so im still doing 'something' it just varys in intensity! Think you do need to give yourself 1 or 2 days off a week to give your muscles time to heal if your doing intense exercise as well.
  • Alice230
    Options
    For now I just ride my bike or walk. I cannot run. I sprained my ankle years ago and ever since if I try and run I get this sharp pain in my ankle. It seems like it's a certain way I place my ankle because it happens sometimes when I walk up the stairs too. Usually only in bad weather though.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    For now I just ride my bike or walk. I cannot run. I sprained my ankle years ago and ever since if I try and run I get this sharp pain in my ankle. It seems like it's a certain way I place my ankle because it happens sometimes when I walk up the stairs too. Usually only in bad weather though.

Did you get that ankle looked at? That sharp pain sounds like my left wrist . I chipped a bone and ran around for almost 2 weeks thinking I had just jammed it before I even knew there was a real problem! Just suddenly it swelled up and it was only after an x-ray I found out why. The doctor said the chip likely shifted and caused the delayed reaction to the injury.
    To this day, and the injury occured about 30 years ago, I know when rain is coming.