need some ideas!

Options
I've got a cabbage in the fridge that i need to use before it goes bad!! Any ideas/recipes?

Replies

• vhaymakerv
    Options
    I've got a cabbage in the fridge that i need to use before it goes bad!! Any ideas/recipes?
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    im not a cabbage person but try recipezaar.com
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Okay, the simplest idea for cabbage is what my German family calls fried cabbage. Just chop it up, throw it in a hot pan with 1 tbsp of butter and salt to taste. Let it cook down until it gets soft, brown, and delicious. We used to eat that all the time with pork chops and applesauce.

If you want a real recipe and you have some other ingredients on hand, here is one for veggie egg rolls and the main ingredient is yummy cabbage.

Baked “Egg Rolls”
    Vegetarian
    Makes 4 egg rolls

Ingredients:
    4 sheets spring roll rice paper
    1 Carrot, finely chopped
    ½ cabbage, roughly chopped
    2 green onions/scallions, finely chopped
    ½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    3 tbsp soy sauce (or fish sauce for a more thai taste)
    Pinch of sugar or Splenda’
    1 ½ tbsp olive oil
    2 pinches grated or powdered ginger
    Pinch Sesame seeds (optional)

Cook:
    - Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
    *Filling*
    - In a large skillet or wok heat oil over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 3 min.
    - Stir in the cabbage and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce. Cook until cabbage is soft and reduced in size. About 5-8 min.
    - Remove cabbage mixture from heat and set aside.
    *Dipping Sauce*
    - Mix together 2 tbsp soy sauce, sugar/splenda, ginger, and sesame seeds. And that’s it!

Preparing rice paper and wrapping:
    I could try to explain it…but other people have already done a better job and taken pics. I suggest this site http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/Howtospringroll.htm

Baking:
    Brush the egg rolls with the remaining olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet. Bake until they are crisp and golden brown. About 10 min.

Nutritional Information:
    Serving size- 1 egg roll
    Calories: 67
    Fat: 3.3
    Carbs: 6.6
    Protein: 2.3

Enjoy!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I love raw cabbage...some times add a little sea salt,
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good!! *Saving it*

But sadly, I don't have any ideas for cabbage ... I'm a raw veggie kinda girl most of the time :ohwell:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    You can do Cabbage roll ups.
    You take the bigger leaves and boil until soft but not to soft drain and pat dry.
    Add any kind of ingredients you would like. Sausage, cheese, sprouts, shreeded cabbage, ect.
    Put your mixture in the cabbage leaves and roll up. Seem side down. Something like a egg roll.
    Put in a pan pour tomato sauce over them add a can of chopped tomatoes (drained) add seasonings. Add mushrooms and if you would like sprinkle with cheese your choice of cheese. Bake at 350* for not more than 30 minutes until chees is melted and bubbly.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    ummm, I loooove cabbage! it's my fave!!!!

Try chopping it and sauteing it in pam with a little olive oil with an onion, salt, pepper and paprika...yummy by its self or with a little egg noodles! sooo good!

or, if you feel up to it you can make stuffed cabbage, I have a great recipe if you want it...
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I love cabbage in stir fry. My favorite is cabbage, mushrooms, carrots and peppers mixed with a little bit of fettucini noodles, tofu, peanuts and a peanut butter/sweet chili sauce. You could substitute chicken breast for the tofu if you want.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Asain wraps! I make one using leftover chicken or pork, shredded cabbage and carrots with some green onion (if I have it), all tossed with 2 TBSP Newmans Lighten up Sesame ginger dressing, thrown in a tortilla or wrap. Or tossed in a pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper and soy sauce with some grilled chicken or pork.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    cabbage soup! Add some chicken and a myriad of other veggies- it's delish!
  • vhaymakerv
    Options
    thanks for ideas everyone!:bigsmile: