Spaghetti Squash!!

Options
Kristin24C
Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
First time making it tonight for dinner. It was really good! Perfect side dish for my 17 day diet friends! The recipe is in the back of the book but I am going to post it anyway!

Take a spaghetti squash and cut it in half length wise. Scoop out insides and place the squash in a glass cooking pan rhine side up. Make sure the dish has about 1/2 inch of water in it. Bake for 40-45 mins on 375.

To make sure that the squash is done insert a fork in and it should come out easy.

Take squash out. In a frying pan mix 1 cup broccoli chopped, 1 small onion chopped, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 chopped garlic cloves. Cook until veggies are tender.

Take a fork to the inside of the squash and scrape out the insides.. ( insides will turn into a spaghetti).

Add squash insides to the frying pan and mix well.

Then viola!

Replies

• mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've really been wanting to try that!

Thanks for the post

Meagan
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    sounds great! I have one sitting on my counter waiting to be used
  • jenny4teach
    jenny4teach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is amazing! the broccoli & onion recipe sounds devine! i usually just eat it with tomato sauce and turkey meatballs, but that sounds a lot healthier!
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I love spagetti squash. I just cut in half..sprinkle olive oil salt and pepper. scoop out when cooled off enough..yum...love the sweet slightly crunchy texture it has.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    First time making it tonight for dinner. It was really good! Perfect side dish for my 17 day diet friends! The recipe is in the back of the book but I am going to post it anyway!

Take a spaghetti squash and cut it in half length wise. Scoop out insides and place the squash in a glass cooking pan rhine side up. Make sure the dish has about 1/2 inch of water in it. Bake for 40-45 mins on 375.

To make sure that the squash is done insert a fork in and it should come out easy.

Take squash out. In a frying pan mix 1 cup broccoli chopped, 1 small onion chopped, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 chopped garlic cloves. Cook until veggies are tender.

Take a fork to the inside of the squash and scrape out the insides.. ( insides will turn into a spaghetti).

Add squash insides to the frying pan and mix well.

Then viola!
    Thank you! I've got one on the counter waiting for me, so I'll try out your idea:wink::flowerforyou:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been eating it for years. It's inexpensive and a great alternative to pasta noodles. If you bake it and want to store and keep it moist, add a bit of olive oil and stir it in. It's yummy with a tomato sauce.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Sounds good.
  • johnnystar1787
    Options
    I am so making this for dinner tomorrow night!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I just roasted a spaghetti squash tonight for the first time.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

So simple, it's an awesome pasta substitute! I can't wait to try it with, well, just about everything!! It is seriously like noodles, but it's a veggie. *WOW!!!!*
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have never even had it like a pasta. It's great just with some butter and salt and that's the way I always eat it. In fact, I need to go to the store to get one for dinner this week.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like to season it before I bake it. The longer you let it cook the better. A med-large size one cooks best for an hour.
    Man now i want to cook mine thats in the fridge waiting.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I am so making this for dinner tomorrow night!

Me too. Bon appetit!!
  • sueozzy
    sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • calamitydown
    Options
    I cook it to use as a pasta substitute like a lot of other people on here. I don't add olive oil or salt/pepper before baking as the oil can add up some serious calories and isn't necessary. I hack it in half and roast it flesh side down in the oven. The edges get a bit crispy and brown, caramelizing the sugars in the veggie to give it a more rich taste. Mmmm.

When scooped/shredded, I use it in place of pasta (as mentioned), eat it with salt or pepper, and on RARE occasions I'll put a bit of brown sugar on it and use it as a winter side dish.
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been eating spaghetti squash for years, and never thought of baking/roasting it. I was taught to stab it 4-5 times with a big knife, set it in the microwave, do high for 10 minutes. For a small-ish one, 10 minutes will just about finish it, but if you got a biggie, you'll need to flip it and do another 5-6 minutes. It will be hissing while it cooks, because it's steaming itself. When the rind is squishy it's done. Take it out using a kitchen towel or something as it will be cranking hot and drippy. I whack it open with a butcher knife and the seed pile just lifts right out. Let it cool a few minutes, then fork out the "spaghetti" - mmmm delish, and it's done in less than half the time of baking.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried cooking spaghetti squash several years ago, I cooked it flesh side down with a little water in the pan. Neither my husband or I liked it...the texture wasn't quite "right" to us. I finally tried it again a couple of weeks ago, using the cooking method listed on skinnytaste.com, which is to cut in half, season with S&P, and roast cut side UP for an hour. I don't know if it really made that much of a difference or if our tastes have just changed, but we both loved it this time and have had it several times now. Just a thought if you've tried it one way and didn't care for it...try it another way! :)