Help me find a balance

Options
I am down around 15 lbs but have totally plateaued. Last week I dropped my calories to 1200 since I have a hard time eating my calories on 1500 calories especially when I exercise. I also thought that I could jump start some new weight loss since I've been stagnant a few weeks and dealing with constipation.

The last time I weighed myself I was constipated (still working on correcting that) and had gained 1 lb. This is nuts. I am under usually by about 100 calories but I'm exercising usually burning 300 calories or more and eating most of those.

Any suggestions?!?!

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Gotta hate that constipation! Are you drinking plenty of water? I usually find that water plus exercise helps provided I am also getting enough fibre in my diet. Fresh fruit is my friend (plus a few prunes from time to time.)
    Good luck.
  • macyshopper
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat - been hovering at 1200 and working out burning about 500 each time and ..... nothing.. Then I tried to eat more to net 1700 or 1500 calories... same. If you find the secret, please tell me. This is totally furstrating and I have been trying to tweek this for four months. I am defintely getting stronger and my clothes fit better, but for heaven's sake, is the scale ever going to move? For now, I have decided that working out and eating rights make me feel better, even if my weight doesn't change.
  • brandihutchinson
    Options
    Honestly, I'd suggest upping your calories by changing your goal to losing 1 or 1/2 a pd a week. I stopped losing and was really confused and happened to read another persons post on here about how they lost alot of weight upping their calorie intake. I tried it and just this week alone, I have lost 2 pds and am going on 3!! I'm SO excited and some nights I feel like I'll gain it all back the next day, but I end up losing still! Try it and see if this is your problem.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! About 2 1/2 weeks ago, my trainer dropped my calories. I hit a plateau about 10 days ago and was hungry all the time. So I ate a little more a couple of days last week (went above my calories, but within my exercise-earned calories) and finally moved off the plateau. I guess I convinced my body I wasn't going to starve.

But....about 10 days before all of this, I had a bout of constipation that also made the scale seem a lot unfriendlier. I've added more fiber to my diet; water was never an issue. It seems to be working.

You just have to try different things until your body gets happy.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am down around 15 lbs but have totally plateaued. Last week I dropped my calories to 1200 since I have a hard time eating my calories on 1500 calories especially when I exercise. I also thought that I could jump start some new weight loss since I've been stagnant a few weeks and dealing with constipation.

The last time I weighed myself I was constipated (still working on correcting that) and had gained 1 lb. This is nuts. I am under usually by about 100 calories but I'm exercising usually burning 300 calories or more and eating most of those.

Any suggestions?!?!

Drink some more water, eat some more fiber... how are you doing on the fitness part of your challenge?
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try and increase your fiber and water intake. When you can finally get things "moving"... you will see an instant drop on the scale! Raspberries and blackberries are great high fiber fruits and prunes as well. I've been addicted to pumpkin, which is a high fiber vegetable, also cabbage and chick peas.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    How much water are u drinking
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    During the week I'm drinking 8-10 cups of water. Weekends around 6-8. I also have been doing either Fiber Plus or Fiber One cereal for breakfast and Fiber Plus bars for snack. I try to have a salad or veggies with dinner and usually a salad with my lunch more days than not at work.

On Thursday I finished the 30 DS and did it every day for 30 days so that's been my exercise for the last month. Friday did the elliptical, Saturday was my first off day in 31 days and then today the Elliptical. Starting a new exercise rotation tomorrow. Don't think it's exercise.

It's just frustrating since I thought I'd be at least 3-4 more lbs down and I've gained a lb.