BEST way to cook pumpkin seeds!? *pics*

Options
Carved two pumpkins tonight and I wanna know the best way to cook the seeds...I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I've never done it before....I've heard they're yummy! This is me today at the pumpkin patch!!!!

311788_942924534708_19712165_42430895_630059701_n.jpg
325830_942929968818_19712165_42430961_695734012_o.jpg

Replies

• jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    Boil them in salted water for like 30 minutes...? Then bake them really low, like 200 degrees or even lower if you can, for several hours until they dry out and are crunchy... delicious!
    Sorry so vague, I think it's pretty hard to mess them up.
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    oh, and you'll have them on a baking sheet in the oven... just take them out and move them around once in a while.. like every 30 minutes. They might have to be in the oven like 2 hours.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    perfect! that sounds doable lol, and pretty hard to mess them up ehhh you never know ahaha! :indifferent:
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Rinse them off. I put a little oil and season salt on mine. Then bake them 350 until they are crunchy. Ooooh I need to get a pumpkin or two now, just for the seeds!
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LOVE pumpkin seeds! We have always just put them in a cookie sheet with a little butter and salt and bake at around 350 degrees, stirring occasionally. I don't rinse them because i like the taste of the remnants of pumpkin baked on. The cook time differs in our family...my dad always liked them REALLY done, but to me they tasted burnt. I like them golden and not totally dried out...so it's a matter of taste! YUM!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Our preferred way growing up was to rinse them off, spread 'em out on a cookie sheet with some salt tossed on them (to taste or not at all if you prefer) then set the whole thin on top of the woodburning stove. Flip them over when they start looking toasty and go from there. (Highly unscientific, but yummy!)
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can do sweet too. Brown sugar and cinnamon instead of salt
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I make them every year for the grandkids (and their parents) after we carve our 5 or 6 pumpkins. I've never boiled the seeds and mine turn out light and crunchy.

Put the seeds with whatever pumpkin pulp is stuck to them in a large strainer and rinse well, pulling off most of the pulp.
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. When most of the water is off the seeds, put them on a very large baking sheet you've sprayed with cooking spray. Toss the seeds with about 1 T. of corn or canola oil. Mix together in a small bowl a tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. cumin, and a tsp. of sugar. Sprinkle over the seeds and stir. Roast in the oven until light brown, stirring occasionally. (20 to 30 minutes) Do not overcook or burn.

If you are daring, you can try other seasonings: cinnamon, allspice, ginger with a little sugar and a pinch of salt; fine herbs and salt; garlic or onion powder; or you can toast the seeds with a little oil and sprinkle with popcorn seasoning. Experiment.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can do sweet too. Brown sugar and cinnamon instead of salt

DONE.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I brine them overnight, then roast, I love pumpkin seeds!
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5457182_soak-sunflower-seeds-salt-water.html