does anyone know how much someone who is 5'2 is supposed to

Options
i was 156 pounds at the start, i'm now 139 .. i want to weigh 120 but i think i'm supposed to weigh less than that ?

Replies

• JonClaw
    JonClaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The BMI calculator here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

...gives you a good range.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For a healthy BMI, aim for 50-62 kg (i.e. 110 to 137 lbs), for a normal build. You can go down to 45kg if you are "weedy" and don't get much exercise, or much more than 62kg if you are very muscular.
  • arogers98
    arogers98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and found out my ideal weight is anywhere between 109 - 136. It depends also on your frame size. I pay most attention to my BMI and getting into the "normal" range.
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
  • mammacado
    Options
    Anywhere between 102-130 I've heard...I'm 5'2" also.
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    110 would not be an unhealthy low wieght. at a 139, you are in the overweigth range on your bmi. the lowest weight you should be is 101
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 as well. My ultimate goal weight is 130-135lbs but that's because I would look sickly if I was to weigh any less. To say you are suppose to weigh one particular weight is ridiculous.,,,go by how your body looks and not by the BMI index. Everyone's body composition is different. Hope that helps! :)

Crystal
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about your weight, more your % body fat. A good amount for a women is roughly 25% if you want to be considered athletic, you go lower. BMI is a horrible way to say if someone is healthy or not.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    101-130 is the normal range for 5'2".
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out of the window and go by body fat % I was 210 at 20 percent fat and now i am 210 10 percent fat. Night and day difference . I mean if you were 200 pds and 5 feet 2 then yeah. My wife is 5 foot 7 and 128 - Most would think she is thin. But she is only 12 percent fat . She use to be 145 and 25 percent fat
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Although it is best to go by Body Fat percentage, that is difficult to measure accurately yourself. I think BMI is easier to understand for most people and is relatively accurate unless you are aiming to be extremely athletic.

A good rule of thumb is to measure your wrist size by circling your wrist with your thumb and middle finger of your other hand.

If your fingers don't touch, you have a larger bone structure and your final BMI will likely be in the higher normal zone. (This is also true if you have a lot of muscle).

If your fingers just touch, you have a medium bone structure and your final BMI will likely be in the middle of the normal zone.

If your fingers can go past each other, you have a small bone structure and your final BMI will likely be at the low end of the normal zone.

If you have an exceptionally small frame, you can safely go into the underweight zone slightly. You will likely only fall into this category if you are of Asian descent.

Two other things to look for are waist circumference and saddle bags.

If you carry a lot of weight around your middle even if your weight is in the healthy range, you should probably lose a bit more weight because weight around the middle is the most dangerous type of fat. 35 inches is generally considered too large a waist for women.

Saddle bags means you have fat in a healthy location, so any normal range BMI is fine, but you might not like the look of them. You may find you need to put yourself into the lower BMI range in order to achieve the look you want.

Hope that helps!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and found out my ideal weight is anywhere between 109 - 136. It depends also on your frame size. I pay most attention to my BMI and getting into the "normal" range.

this^^

136 is the highest weight to reach for the normal range bmi . im 5'2 and going for 130 as my goal
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    friend showed me this: http://www.mybodygallery.com/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!