Excersising

Options
Hi!
I'm relatively new to myfitnesspal but not new to wanting to lose weight.
I've got my diet relatively under control (although i sometimes go under my calory count by a couple of hundred) but I can't get motivated to excersise. I originally planned for half an hour a day of either running or on the excersise bike, but when I get to it I often make excuses for myself not to do it. How do I over come this?

Also, I've not got many friends on here, so please add me! it'd be great to see how everyone is going!

Replies

• oopsiedaezie
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing; last week started off really well when I went for an AM walk and trying to work out after work is just, well a pain because I find myself also making excuses. Unfortunately for me I will be going into work really early this week, but I did note that when I planned my exercise for first thing in the morning I did SIGNIFICANTLY better and I felt better for the rest of the day. Getting up at 4:30 am was a pain in the rear, but it gave me a great start for the day.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Easy,next time just do it! no excuses.:wink:
  • sonotphat
    Options
    well that's embarrassing...Exercising*****
  • gary8964
    Options
    I faced the same thing when I started. The best recommendation I can give you is to try different things and when you find something you like, stick with it. For me, it's bicycling. I try and do an hour a day, I am looking at snowshoeing for the winter months or, an indoor bike.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing; last week started off really well when I went for an AM walk and trying to work out after work is just, well a pain because I find myself also making excuses. Unfortunately for me I will be going into work really early this week, but I did note that when I planned my exercise for first thing in the morning I did SIGNIFICANTLY better and I felt better for the rest of the day. Getting up at 4:30 am was a pain in the rear, but it gave me a great start for the day.

Agree, best to do it first thing in the morning, and no hitting the snooze button lol.
  • chatswithpets
    chatswithpets Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Start with a workable and achieveable goal. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl, so in the past when exercising I have put myself off by doing too much and then get totally lazy.

This time around I set myself a simple goal. I don't have the funds for a gym membership, nor the time to go to one. I decided instead that ANY exercise was better than none. And with that in mind I set myself the goal of walking the dog 3 times a week for half an hour, or every second day if I was feeling motivated. In four weeks I can now do my half hour walk easily and without it feeling like a chore...I've upped it to 40mins now.
  • otdrew
    otdrew Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

First, I suggest that you look and see what you would like to do. Does biking or riding sound more fu?. Do you want to ease into running by starting a walking routine? Next, I would consider the time that you plan to exercise. It is best to find a time that you would be consistent with on a daily basis. Finally, it may be helpful to give yourself a small reward after a full week of exercise.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If I wait until after work to exercise, I have all day to talk myself out of doing it. You just have to know that your goals are important, and you have to really want it. Excuses don't hurt anyone except you, so make the decision not to accept them and MOVE about your day.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Baby steps - honestly, give yourself 15 minutes to do an activity. When I started the easiest/cheapest one was to go for a 15 minute walk each day. That was all I asked of myself, and it had a positive effect.

Good luck - the first step is always the hardest!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I try to think of it as a job... I need to work just as hard for myself as I do for others at my "real" job. So I go 5x a week, minimum of 30 mins (usually 1 hr plus, unless I'm on a time crunch). That is what works for me, and I actually prefer the gym because it's like going to a job, I'm there to work, so that's what I do. Hope that helps, feel free to add me if you would like!! :)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying aerobics videos (do a google video search and filter by length to get rid of all the short stuff). I got back into cardio by committing to 10 minutes of exercise every day for a week.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You can have excuses or results but not both. Sounds like you are ready for results so just dump those old excuses that were holding you back and go for it!