Support for knee support

Options
Couple weeks ago I attempted the C25K program. After the first 4 sessions (week 1 and then starting week 1 again) I decided that my knees just were NOT ready for the high impact of jogging.

I gave it a couple days until my knees felt better and then switched to an elliptical machine. I am currently doing 20 minutes a day on level 2 to try to move up slowly because even only doing level 2 my knees have started to ache again. Not nearly as bad as before but still pretty sore.

So I decided to try getting a knee support to help and OMG! the difference was amazing.

However, the relief I felt from the compression of the brace was VERY short lived.

The very moment I started to take my first step away from where I put them on at they both started to "fall". By fall what I actually mean is that at the top end my thigh, not my knee, is too large and the support starts to roll down my knee. The bottom stays in position but the top rolls down upon itself until about half my knee is no longer in the brace and the rolled part is SUPER tight.

Unfortunately I got the largest brace I could find in the drugstore.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their supports and if they found a way to fix it. I thought maybe getting one with the stabilizers down the side might help but I cant find one that fits comfortably. Anyone got any ideas?

Replies

• lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Did you try a place like Modell's D ick"s Sporting Goods or Sports Authority
  • c2me12ad6
    c2me12ad6 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could try an ace bandage too. Most of them have velcrow on them now so they will stay where youput them plus you can wear them as loose or tight as needed.
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wore knee braces when I was in High School. I was heavy then as well - but i played sports - and I wore the men's plain pull-on neoprene braces (I think it was probably the xl) and they helped immensely. That being said... I then gained a lot of weight. And when I decided to get back into shape I discovered that they do not make them in a size that fits me. period. in order to get a knee brace that will fit (stay up and do it's job) it will have to be specially made.
    okay now I will tell you what I am doing about it... I am continuing to work out and I just take special care of my knees... the elliptical is great and it is very likely to help get your knees into shape without damaging them but you will still have to be nice. don't over work them. I had to use only the treadmill for freakin' ever (continuing to push myself to faster and further but only walking - no running or jogging) before I could get on the elliptical for any length of time - I still do not go super fast. I do all of the leg and knee machines. on low weights and work up to the higher weight. I still only do around 30 pounds. and I honestly am not likely to go up in weight but work on my stamina by upping the number that i do (currently 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps - depending on the day and how my knees feel) and I have been riding my bike a lot more going slow and building up to longer rides and faster rides again listening to my knees.
    i will likely get braces as soon as i can get ones that fit. so that I can kick up my work outs to finish off my weight loss and health journey. (honestly I am hoping that I won't need them but...:ohwell: )
    So in short keep working... take it easy on your knees. they will get stronger and you will be able to do more and they will hurt less. and if you still fee like you need the braces once you are smaller and they fit then go for it. but you may discover that you don't need them.
    great job on quitting smoking and getting up and going towards a healthy life/mind/body. Good luck

Hope this is helpful :flowerforyou:
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Have you had your stride analyzed? I went to running store and had them analyze my run/walk and find a shoe for me. Since I bought the stabilizer shoes, I haven't had pain any longer!